Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Fuel Filter and Water Separator question

So I had a long paragraph typed out explaining my situtaion and then I accidentally clicked out of my browser while trying to upload a photo... So I will just skip the majority of my story and go to the point.

I have a 1991 b700 6.6 diesel.

I removed my old FFWS (fuel filter water separator) since it was about 16 years old and 50,000 miles old. I looked up a cross-reference number to get a wix filter and came up with wix 33211. I ordered the wix filter from rockauto.com (on a whole-seller closeout) and got a fram ps7169.

There is about a 1.5-2 inch height difference between the ford filter and the fram filter. The filter on the left is the ford (factory part) and the filter on the right is the fram.

My question:
Since WIX Filters - Products Catalog Home stated that the ford filter and the wix filter were interchangeable
WIX Filters - Products Catalog Home also stated that the fram and wix filter are interchangeable does that mean the fram filter will work for me, even though there is a size difference???

I am assuming that it will work, however I want to be more sure since you know what they say about assuming.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20151119_151957.jpg  

CStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
If the gaskets and threads are identical, go for it.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
If the gaskets and threads are identical, go for it.
Alrighty, I am pretty sure every will match up (since the wix product lookup said everything should be the same). Since it is dark and cold out now I will do it tomorrow.
-----
Another quick question about the ffws, should I fill my filter with diesel prior to installing it,,, or should I install it empty and then prime it after it is installed???
CStanley is offline   Reply With Quote