Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummings turbo diesel
Fuel Pump For Generator

I have a contracter type Generator/Welder that I plan on installing on my skoolie as a secondary generator. I want to remove the tank off of the top and use a fuel pump from my aux tank. What kind of pump should I get?

Thanks!

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, to liberty, to abundance, to selfishness, to complacency, to apathy, to dependence, and back again to bondage.
kc_4_jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6
Re: Fuel Pump For Generator

You should be able to use an aftermarket electric fuel pump, available at most parts stores. Be sure to get one for carburetted engines, should give about 3 - 4psi. An aftermarket pump for injected motors will make way too much pressure for your needs.

Be sure to mount it below the bottom of the fuel tank level, these pumps arent known for being able to prime themselves when mounted above the tank.
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
Re: Fuel Pump For Generator

I used a Purolator PR004SV electric fuel pump for a coupla years on a Champion generator. Got it at one of the chain auto parts stores, nothing ffancy. I think it was about 15 bucks, but it was a while ago.
Worked fine.
I used another one before I found that one and the pressure was too high, jammed the float valve a coupla times.

As Ob1 noted, mount it below the tank.