Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Skoolie

fuel tank above engine

im thinking about putting my veg fuel tank directly above my pushers engine so it stays hotter and shorter lines, other option is 10 feet foward in an underbody box. opinions, also do i need a pump on my return line as it will be 2 feet above and not gravity fed like standard?
thanks

adamanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
Skoolie

Re: fuel tank above engine

no thoughts on this? will my IP be able to retun fuel to tank?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643

Just be aware of how this will affect your bus' center of gravity and weight distribution. VO is lighter than water but a 55 gallon drum will still be several hundred pounds when full.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I would suggest you loop your return back to the supply and add a tube that goes up vertically from a "T" so that any air can be purged to the tank. I set this up in my 2-tank WVO system in my car with needle valves to control how much is looped and how much returned to tank and it works great!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
Bus Geek

i think you should have a return line that goes back to the veggie tank. The manufacturer put return lines into the equation for a reason. Besides, returning wvo to the tank helps to keep the tank hot (returning oil is always hotter than oil going to the engine) And return lines get rid of air automatically. If you run wvo, there will be times you get air in the system. Having to manually find a way to bleed air out of the system would be a drag.

Gravity feed is the best option in my opinion. Cheap, and simple. No lift pumps or electricity needed.

No, you do not need a pump on the return lines. Plenty of pressure there.

I do like to install a pump into the diesel fuel line feeding the engine. I find this most helpful for re-priming the engine after running out of fuel. Alternatively you can add one of these into the diesel fuel line: They are only a few bucks at wal=mart in the summer months.

However, the electric pump is preferred because if you run out of wvo or filters become clogged etc when you switch back to diesel while driving the engine will not prime itself without some help. If you switch on the electric fuel pump then most times the bus will start right up and you can drive away which is pretty handy when you are blocking traffic on a major road.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
Skoolie

using the racor 1000 will it be able to feed thru the filter still or will it stress the ip. figue tank gravity down to filter then selenoid to ip. no fuel.? but i do have a raptor 100 should i just use it.