Old 06-08-2020, 11:32 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3L Cummins 6CTA
Rated Cap: 84
Fuel tank access hole

Just finished treating and painting my floors and not sure if i need to keep the access hole for the fuel tank. Im not even sure what the sensor is for (possibly fuel level sensor?) Is it wise to keep this hole accessible or can i just floor over it? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200608_112417_copy_1600x1600_1.jpg (498.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20200608_112412_copy_1600x1600.jpg (1.01 MB, 9 views)
Gnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
You could cover it, but if you ever need to swap fuel tanks you'll need to cut a new hole.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP EF
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 29 (Perimeter Seating)
i just replaced my fuel sender unit, and w/o an access hatch it would have been impossible except to drop the tank.

i'm for keeping it.
stlthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:59 PM   #4

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: IHC 3800, 7-window
Engine: DT 444 E, 215 HP
Rated Cap: 48 pass-29,000 lbs
Just make a plate out of sheet steel or aluminum and screw it down over the hole. You are going to need access to the sending unit if it ever needs replacing.
harleydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
I took a picture of where mine was with measurements of its exact location. I floored over it, but if I need to get access to it, I look at the reference picture so I know where to cut up my floor! fingers crossed, I'll never need to do it, but I am prepared if I must.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:03 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
yes

that is fuel level sending unit.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:53 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1998
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
I took a picture of where mine was with measurements of its exact location. I floored over it, but if I need to get access to it, I look at the reference picture so I know where to cut up my floor! fingers crossed, I'll never need to do it, but I am prepared if I must.
That's exactly what I did. However, now that I think about it, I should probably print one of the pics, write all the measurements on the back of it, and keep it in the bus somewhere in case of an emergency repair.
Mountain Yawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:37 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Yawp View Post
That's exactly what I did. However, now that I think about it, I should probably print one of the pics, write all the measurements on the back of it, and keep it in the bus somewhere in case of an emergency repair.
Excellent idea. Also, add it to your build thread for your own future reference. I am all for keeping important info in multiple places. We keep all our legal documents and pictures scanned to an external hard drive, plus have burned CD copies of same info at my mothers house on the other side of town, and my mother-in-laws house the next state over. We try to update those CD's once a year. I'm a big believer in Murpheys law #24641, If you are prepared, you will never need it.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:57 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
when I got my DEV bus the fuel tank sensor was bad.. I replaced it.. its started to get flaky again (4 years later).. so im glad to have that access plate again.

my red bus I replaced it's sensor a little over 3 years ago and it still works good but I notice on full the gauge reads over and the needle jitters a little if the bus sits at all.. which means in the coming months that sensor is going to die.. another one im glad to have the access plate on..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
when I got my DEV bus the fuel tank sensor was bad.. I replaced it.. its started to get flaky again (4 years later).. so im glad to have that access plate again.

my red bus I replaced it's sensor a little over 3 years ago and it still works good but I notice on full the gauge reads over and the needle jitters a little if the bus sits at all.. which means in the coming months that sensor is going to die.. another one im glad to have the access plate on..
Am I correct that school buses from the factory don't have any access hole for the sending unit? Every one I've seen seems to be a DIY job. Fuel tanks can be put in a variety of places so it makes sense not to build anything into the standard bus body, I guess.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
Almost There

Year: 1998
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Am I correct that school buses from the factory don't have any access hole for the sending unit? Every one I've seen seems to be a DIY job. Fuel tanks can be put in a variety of places so it makes sense not to build anything into the standard bus body, I guess.
My rear engine Thomas access hole sure seemed factory. If not, the school district mechanic did an amazing job adding it.
Mountain Yawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:06 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Yawp View Post
My rear engine Thomas access hole sure seemed factory. If not, the school district mechanic did an amazing job adding it.
Mine was definitely not factory and whoever did it seemed not very good at using a tape measure - they cut halfway through a cross member doing it.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Mine (also a Thomas) seems very factory.

And not only is the sending unit access there but access to the fuel line leading to the engine and the flexible fuel filler hose.

Now why would any of those things start leaking or having some other issue -- they've been fine for 20 years!

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Mine (also a Thomas) seems very factory.

And not only is the sending unit access there but access to the fuel line leading to the engine and the flexible fuel filler hose.

Now why would any of those things start leaking or having some other issue -- they've been fine for 20 years!
Are you sure? My current fuel tank was manufactured in 2010 despite looking as bad as the rest of the bus.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:39 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Are you sure? My current fuel tank was manufactured in 2010 despite looking as bad as the rest of the bus.
Very...
Despite also coming from the N.E. my bus has almost exclusively rusted from the inside out. The paint on the fuel cell looks great expect where it's rubbed the cage or scratched for other reasons...
Build tag on my fuel cell says 2001. It's 100 gal tank, even empty would take two people to wrestle into place...

My approach to things is different sometimes --
Back in the day working on an OH-6 (Cayuse/little bird) I had to remove the Co-pilot seat frame for access to a control tube -- something that doesn't occur in the first 30 years of use. I discovered I had to practically remove the entire helicopter to get access to one of the seat frame bolts
-- as I was cursing the design of this and saying a 3hr repair was now going to take 3 to 4 days...
An ol' timer came up to me and put an X on the exterior skin of the helicopter -- drill you a 1" hole right about there, give you access to that bolt "
"Awesome! How do I write that up?"
"Jesus kid, you don't. Sheet metal'll come and patch it for you just like it'd been shot in Vietnam.
(I figure my statute of limitations is up regarding life and the FAA...)

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:02 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906
Save yourself the time now and seal it properly to access it in the future. Why would anyone think it’s a good idea to restrict access to sensors that will need to be replaced eventually.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #17

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 5.9 Cummins Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Hatch

Keep it, I just had to replace it on my bus, and it would have been very difficult to get at if the floor had been there.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:07 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906
Thatís a great sea story

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Very...
Despite also coming from the N.E. my bus has almost exclusively rusted from the inside out. The paint on the fuel cell looks great expect where it's rubbed the cage or scratched for other reasons...
Build tag on my fuel cell says 2001. It's 100 gal tank, even empty would take two people to wrestle into place...

My approach to things is different sometimes --
Back in the day working on an OH-6 (Cayuse/little bird) I had to remove the Co-pilot seat frame for access to a control tube -- something that doesn't occur in the first 30 years of use. I discovered I had to practically remove the entire helicopter to get access to one of the seat frame bolts
-- as I was cursing the design of this and saying a 3hr repair was now going to take 3 to 4 days...
An ol' timer came up to me and put an X on the exterior skin of the helicopter -- drill you a 1" hole right about there, give you access to that bolt "
"Awesome! How do I write that up?"
"Jesus kid, you don't. Sheet metal'll come and patch it for you just like it'd been shot in Vietnam.
(I figure my statute of limitations is up regarding life and the FAA...)

I can attest to some sailor alts in my career. If anyone ever got blamey, we always said it must have been the last guys work.
DoxieLuvr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #19

Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: Ford 7.3L Diesel Powerstoke
Do all Buses have this hole?

My 5 window Ford 7.3 /Thomas cut away doesn't have this access hole unless I am missing it. I have the steel floor completely exposed. Can you access the sender under the vehicle. My tank has a shelf on the forward top side.
Billb is offline   Reply With Quote