Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue bird
Engine: 427l Chevy
Send a message via MSN to dragonfly112
fule tank corostion

The guy I got my bus from was running it off a gas can inside the bus, said he didn't know why, that was how his brother droped it off to him. So I put some gas in it and drained it out did that till the gas run what I thought was clean. I hooked my fule line up and it ran for a little while then died. I then pulled the plug and drained it again the gas looked bad again. My qestion is, is there anything I can run threw it that will get the rust out? Gas gets expensive.
Also was wondering where the fuel gage is suposed to be there was nothing running to the tank and can only see two plugs one in the bottem and one on the front side.

dragonfly112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: fule tank corostion

I don't know about bus engines, but on a motorcycle, if the tank is rusty, ya gotta get a new tank! I would think the same would be true for any combustion engine gas tank.

I have heard there is an additive that will coat the tank walls and help minimize corrosion, but was warned it as a very temporary measure, so never looked for it.

Good luck with your tank. Bites to have a bus and not be able to make it GO (I'm in the same boat now).
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

Rust in fuel tanks can be fun!

NOT!

I would suggest removing the tank, then plugging the outlets. Add a quart of gas, and a known number of nuts and bolts. Then SHAKE-SHAKE-SHAKE! every direction -up-down-sideways-diagonal.

Drain it, rinse it, then do it again.
Continue to do it again until the rinse is fairly clean. Remove the nuts and bolts, count them as well.

Then, head down to the auto parts store and have a look at the fuel filters. Find one that is semi clear and will fit your fuel lines. Buy 2 or 3, along with enough extra fuel line to put the filter where it can easily be seen. Get 2 new filters specified for your bus as well

Mount the tank, mount the clearish auto filter inline before the fuel gets to the "regular" filter. Mount the new "regular" filter. Run the machine, keeping a close eye on the clearish auto filter. When the crud piles up in it, replace it. when it finally runs clean, you can either keep the auto filter or redo the lines to only use the regular filter. Replace the regular filter.

Now the real trick...keep the fuel tank full, it will prevent atmospheric humidity from condensing inside, causing more rust.
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Bus Nut

...as long as your at it, might as well get new rubber all the way around. Document the date that everything is replaced and the estimated lifespan, knock off about 5-10 percent of that for estimating when you will have to buy replacement parts before a failure "Should" occur so you have it on hand.

Works well with headlights. Replace them both when one burns out, then just match up the survivor with another survivor with about the same remaining lifespan...when one of those dies, chuck-em.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and all surprises will be pleasant ones.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote