Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Full-Timer + Broken Bus?

been only out a few times in my bus, still working on it, we are heading out to the east coast this summer, sould be about 32 days staying in the bus, if you do get a brake down, Im pretty sure we would stay with the bus, were ever you had to be towed. we are self contained,so there souldnt be any readon to stay with it. unless its the garge says no, but im sure something can be arranged
gbstewart

Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Most garages won't let you stay once it goes inside the building. Some, MIGHT let you stay outside the building unless the compound has a gate that is locked at night. Be aware that gas refrigerator would also have to be shut down and if you have an electric they most likely wont plug you in to keep batteries charged. Those are my experiences with a semi in large shops. The smaller the shop, probably the more you will be able to do.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

lol hourly - ewww

they wont let you stay in them in the shop. wont let you do that with any vehicle actually or any pets in it either... I worked a stint at walmart and refused working on a vehicle cause he left a pitbull in the truck and neglected to let us know...

when i got my bus and it was getting worked on to "get outta dodge" i was worried about being delayed a day. if worse came to worse they would have rolled it outside for me for the night they said.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

We keep a family size tent and basic camping goodies, plus the car. But we don't have the car now so will be picking up a cycle or mopeds or such. Never had repairs take more than two days and usually we camped in the yard there at the shop
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

MOST places understand that you are living in your bus. You can often stay in the shops parking lot and they will leave your rig out in the parking lot during the night if possible (I don't think they would let you stay in the rig if it were inside the shop). That is not always a safe option and some places will honestly tell you that. Nick & Terry Russell (http://gypsyjournal.net/blog/2009/12...ent-encounter/) were robbed at gun point... it was his own gun... back in 2009 in a repair shops lot. Often you can stay in a hotel/motel with your pet. You may have to put down a non-refundable pet fee (last place I worked accepted pets with a $25 charge). Camping World usually lets you stay in their lot. PPL does too I believe. This is a question you need to ask over at the RV forums.

On our way out here, we had to spend the day getting the bus' radiator cleaned out and repaired. They asked us if we wanted to spend the night in their lot because it was so late... well after dark... Stacey & I are a bit night blind.. some nights are worse than other nights so we don't like to drive at night. We deeply appreciated the offer but we spent the night in a more populated parking lot where we felt a bit safer. During the day the shop was in a busy area. At night the whole area kinda seemed empty and we felt a tad uneasy.

BTW, we've been full-timing since fall 2006 and have yet to put our RV in the shop. I don't really count the bus' radiator problem because we bought the bus and didn't do anything to it before driving it 1700 miles. We've been lucky in that we have had to do very little to the Class C since we moved into it. We did clean out the engine's carburetor and put a tune up on it... in a campground where we were the only folks in the campground most of the time. Nice campground. Cheap too.

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions...ia/Vienna.html Dixie RV park (we stayed there in 2007 that was my first review and I should have posted a review for the second time we stayed there) it does have 50 amp, sewer and pull thrus (under the pine trees) but no cable. It does have tall pine trees at the back section (50 amp/pull thrus, sewer) past the bathhouse where we ended up staying at the second time we parked there (for a longer time). The first time was because we had to leave out of the state park at the other end of the road (GA Vets SP) for the weekend. Place was on the honour system of pay, but we ended up waiting for the guy to stop by and we would pay him cash. Someone who lived in front of the park would call if they saw someone parked there. Only down side was the distance to town. We would go to Cordele for everything since Vienna was so small. Folks from Vienna shopped in Cordele. I did a lot of work on the RV while there.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote