Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2022, 11:51 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
Furnishing your rig

Alight! As I close in on the move - in date (may 15th ishhhh)... What's some little things that you really appreciate in your rig? Or that are awesome accessories to have for camping and full timing? Organization stuff? Maps? Camping Gear? Towels? Supplies?

Let hear it!

Im going to be downsizing / consolidating my apartment life style to transition into my 35ft rig. (see 5speedhouse build thread) I need a solution for hanging clothes storage... I didn't really build for a closet, So I'm thinking of those collapsible multi hanger things for closet organization. happy to hear some ideas on that.

But yeah id love to hear what little accessories folks love

Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:34 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Organizational idea: some drawer or basket near the door where you can toss your gloves, hat, dog leash, flashlight, frisbee, Gameboy, lightsaber, etc. etc. Anything you use regularly that will otherwise end up on the driver's seat or dash and have to be moved or secured before driving.

Hanging clothes idea: Just don't - problem solved I built a ton of hanging storage into our first bus, but stopped using it after a couple of months. Hanging clothes take up way too much space, and since we were using laundromats I had to fold the clothes for the trip between the drier to the bus anyway. Unless you have fancy clothes, folding is the way to go, IMO.

Awesome camping accessory: Nomad portable hot tub (link to website). I have never seen this product in person, and I don't actually think it's a great idea because it uses a ton of propane. But... it does look pretty damned cool.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:50 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Weren't you planning on parking for a while and renovating a house? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Anyway, since you mentioned full timing and camping, I thought of a few other camp doodads that I absolutely love.

3 lb mini splitting maul (Amazon link). I use this thing all the time. Mostly as a hammer, but also sometimes for splitting firewood.

Collapsible wash buckets (another Amazon link). This might be more of a tent camping thing, but I still think they're super handy. We have two and are constantly finding new uses for 'em.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:21 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
Weren't you planning on parking for a while and renovating a house? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Anyway, since you mentioned full timing and camping, I thought of a few other camp doodads that I absolutely love.

3 lb mini splitting maul (Amazon link). I use this thing all the time. Mostly as a hammer, but also sometimes for splitting firewood.

Collapsible wash buckets (another Amazon link). This might be more of a tent camping thing, but I still think they're super handy. We have two and are constantly finding new uses for 'em.

Your right! I am rehabbing a duplex! My plan is to live out of the bus as I work on rehabbing one unit at a time. But Ill prolly take some camping trips this summer because why not!

I dont use most of my "fancy cloths" often... More of a steel toed boots and a t shirt guy. I suppose that stuff could just go in one of the closets at the new property.

Washbuckets for the sink is a good idea! Didnt think about that!
Old 04-25-2022, 03:12 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Closets have a lot of wasted space; when space is at a premium, you want to avoid as much of that as you can.

Folding clothes, and then rolling them up actually compacts them into the smallest and most efficient shape possible. Put in a low storage drawer to maintain the best center of gravity possible--which also affects things like how much the bus sways and shifts as you're walking around.

If you have to have some hanging storage, I would use the hand-strap method: Find some kind of leather or heavy-duty handstrap and fold it over 180 degrees so that it forms a "U", and then bolt the ends to the wall, and use that as your 'closet'. Good rope works too, in a pinch.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:46 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Since I had to rebuild the floor of my bus around the wheel wells in the back, I took the opportunity to build a closet that projects a foot below the floor level. This allows me to hang clothes and coats that require hanging, without the closet obscuring any of the windows (I kept all of my original windows). If you can weld, this would be a pretty easy thing to do even in a bus with a healthy floor.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:25 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
If you have to have some hanging storage, I would use the hand-strap method: Find some kind of leather or heavy-duty handstrap and fold it over 180 degrees so that it forms a "U", and then bolt the ends to the wall, and use that as your 'closet'. Good rope works too, in a pinch.
Oh this isnt a bad idea! I could snag a few old belts from the goodwill and mount them on a nice plague or backer board!
Old 04-26-2022, 07:26 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Since I had to rebuild the floor of my bus around the wheel wells in the back, I took the opportunity to build a closet that projects a foot below the floor level. This allows me to hang clothes and coats that require hanging, without the closet obscuring any of the windows (I kept all of my original windows). If you can weld, this would be a pretty easy thing to do even in a bus with a healthy floor.
Yeah, the build is quite far along to be doing major fab work again.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:44 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochey6957 View Post
...little accessories...
* 12vdc outlets.
* Black&Decker 20v square flashlights (we carry six, with about ten charged batteries) (plus another six in the Dodge with another dozen charged batteries).
* Ancient Craftsman six-drawer tool chest.
* DeWalt 20vdc/120vac shop-vac.
* Gamma screw-off lid for five-gallon bucket of dog-chow.
and for heading out first-of-the-season on our favorite rough logger tracks:
* Craftsman 20v chain-saw with seven charged batteries.
But all that is just stuff.
The best thing to have -- experienced caravan chums.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote