Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2005, 09:05 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Gas Tank Size?

I have decided to switch the bus over to run on gasoline. A fairly simple thing. I need to find a suitable fuel tank. To those of you with buses that run on gas, what size is your tank? Where is it located?

To everyone: Any sugestions? I am thinking of behind the rear differential between the frame would be a safe place for it. Although when my 250 litre propane tank was factory installed they placed it where I am guesing the gas tank would have gone because of a gas flip cover behind the stair well.

I am hoping to find somthing suitable in a junk yard. Could I use a tank that held diesel? I have seen a few around. They look nice and big.

Thanks. Looking forward to some advice. -Richard

captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:30 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
The tanks on gas buses are usually either 30 or 60 gallons. I have a 30 gallon and I would suggest you get the 60. I am thinking of buying a second 30 and connecting them in series.

I don't think it will be hard for you to find either size from a gas bus in a junkyard, they are everywhere. (also on newer buses they have a big pipe to protect the tank in a side collision, if you mounted your between the frame rails you wouldn't need to worry about that.)
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:16 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

We have a 1966 Chevy with a Wayne body and the tank is TINY! I'd estimate it at about 25 gallons, although I've never run it out to know for sure. All I know is that it reads empty at around 15 gallons used.

I'd be interested in running a bigger tank, if it could be done inexpensively.
7000 watt generator powering 2 6500 btu A/C's
Rebuilt 350 puts the power down.
66ChevyTailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
First thing I'd do is make sure your guage, sending unit & their interfaces are working properly.

One of the first things I do with ANY vehicle I buy (including my bus) is to get a couple of jerry cans full of gas, fill up the gas tank, write down the starting milage, and run the tank dry so I KNOW where empty is, and roughly how many miles I can go until I will run out. I usually mix highway & city miles to try to get a more realistic idea.

Once I have determined how many miles I can go on one tank, and average how many miles per gallon the vehicle gets, I can drive without fear of running out by allowing myself a 50 mile buffer, i.e. if I get 300 miles per tank, I start looking for gas as I near 250 miles travelled.

Hope this helps, although I'm sure some one in this forum probably knows what size tank was installed when your bus went down the assembly line.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Most older buses i've seen have the fuel tank mounted just behind the stairs on the passenger side.

the brand new buses that have been driving around my county have the fuel tanks mounted behind the rear axle between the frame rails.

It seems that either location is a fine place to mount a tank.

Both buses i've owned have been diesel, one had a 50 gallon tank, and the new bus has a 60 gallon tank.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:35 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
Most older buses i've seen have the fuel tank mounted just behind the stairs on the passenger side.
That's where mine is. It is 20 years old, and it also has the huge "grunch" bar surrounding the tank.

Quote:
the brand new buses that have been driving around my county have the fuel tanks mounted behind the rear axle between the frame rails.
Hey, that's where I put my propane tank mount! I'm not crazy after all!

Quote:
It seems that either location is a fine place to mount a tank.

Both buses i've owned have been diesel, one had a 50 gallon tank, and the new bus has a 60 gallon tank.
I hope one day in the not to distant future to convert to dual fuel like you did. I'm going to try to mount a couple of 50 or 60 gallon tanks somewhere under the bus when I do, so I will have some real legs.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:50 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
re: Diesel fuel tank

So, I came across a free diesel fuel tank today. Looks as though it came off a large truck. I figure at least 50 gallons. It's aprox 6' long. I am wondering if it would be possible to use it as a tank for regular fuel. It would fit between the frame behind the rear axle (since my monsterous propane tank is behind the stairs) and it's free. Or, I'll use it as a grey water tank. Do you think this would work? I would attach an exterior fuel pump I guess. Where would I find the wires to attach fuel gauge?

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote