Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Ford B-series AmTran
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L
Rated Cap: 65
gauges not working

Can anybody lead me in the right direction? My temp, battery, fuel gauges and occasionaly the speedometer have stopped working. I can say, right before this started, the battery was drained, and I had to jump it, got the bus going, started driving, and realised none of the gauges were working.
After driving for about 10 min, all gauges bounced, and then nothing. I'm assuming the alternator had to get up to sufficient rpms to start charging, but for the life of me, I cant figure out what is wrong with it.
All interior, and exterior light are working.
Anybody?

headin2MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: gauges not working

I have not worked on that system, but, if all the gauges were working, and now are not, then logic would assume that the electrical problem is one common to all gauges. That being said, it either leaves you with a common ground problem (an open), or a battery feed that supplies common voltage for these gauges.

I have had to replace newer panels which had one plug in for all gauges, mainly because occasionally the pins for one of the plug ins has corroded. This is in 2000 and newer year model epuipment. Busses normally have separate feeds for each gauge.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Ford B-series AmTran
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L
Rated Cap: 65

Awlright, I'll start by tracing back the wires, and see if I notice anything. Not today though, pretty cold up here in montana.
headin2MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Took me 2 hrs to get my bus pulled out from the froze ground yesterday. For some reason I had ambition to take it for a mid-winter, flip the tires over, spin.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote