Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
Dome? Lets not please? Hate to see the air national guard launching on a UFO.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

I understand your humbug about ratchet roof conversions ,specially from rainbow esc tribe ( wv buses & bugs ) , not done substantially well and thus being a major road hazard , a shy thanks to you for your tough love . Buttttttt lets just think about it , domes are extremely aerodynamic. Or at least from what I’ve witnessed . Like a golf ball bro

LunarWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
The wind may drive water "upward" while driving.

I would want my dome covered with clear polycarbonate (Lexan) sheets (more susceptible to scratches, but virtually unbreakable), or tempered glass (heavier, and breakable). But then you deal with more curtains, insulation (use duel-pane windows), etc... Or perhaps sheet -metal selectively with clear windows.

Same thoughts , ten four

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #23
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarWorm View Post
Now that’s where my secrets hide , I got a mission plan , brother . It involves a teepee sauna as well . But obv for extra sleeping room at times, I love beds but I’ve literally spent years in a hammock .
Yeah, I figured it as a loft. Windows in every other triangle on the bottom row, the rest sheet metal except for the top circle of triangles are windows.

Structurally, not a problem. Would handle any wind loading just fine. Triangles are crazy strong.

Biggest problem I see is sealing it. Do you keep the dome/bus union rigid or flex?

Sauna presents some new thermal challenges to the materials selected.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yes, geo domes are aerodynamic but they're not usually on the top of a 10 foot tall bus. The extra space would be a bonus in any bus. I'm just thinking the way insurance companies don't like roof raises they might get really bent about insuring a dome topped bus.

I'd like a deck up top so I could sleep outside and watch the stars, while being out of the reach of raccoons, skunks, porcupines, etc.

I'm not trying to bring down your idea. I'm questioning if it's practical for actual use on a bus that travels. It could certainly work for a bed and breakfast bus.

I like that you're thinking outside the box. You never know what ideas may spring from this discussion.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Yes Bob, you know me so well. I'm a total male slut. Being the city boy that you are, you forgot to mention the availability of farm animals in my area.

My sister has horses, mules and donkeys. Many people like my sisters ass.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #26
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post

I'm not trying to bring down your idea. I'm questioning if it's practical for actual use on a bus that travels. It could certainly work for a bed and breakfast bus.
See, that's the beauty. Sometimes the Universe calls you to act without explanation. You just follow.

Practical? That is a word we don't use around here.

It doesn't have to drive, or survive- it just needs to be built. The rest will take care of itself. I've had some small domes and experimented with them, strength is least of concerns. It will be very time consuming and repetitive, but you will never misplace it in a grocery store parking lot.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
I'd like a deck up top so I could sleep outside and watch the stars, while being out of the reach of raccoons, skunks, porcupines, etc.

I like that you're thinking outside the box. You never know what ideas may spring from this discussion.
Combine the two. Dome for 1/3~2/3rds the bus, deck the rest. Leave the end "open" with a glass door. Because of the height, you'd have to duck out or do something really weird with stairs.

Quote:
Yes Bob, you know me so well. I'm a total male slut.
Hopefully you're not giving it away.

Quote:
Being the city boy that you are, you forgot to mention the availability of farm animals in my area.
Goes without saying.

Quote:
Lol
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
but you will never misplace it in a grocery store parking lot.
Hope you like attention. People will be pointing at you all the time. That's fine too as long as you don't pick up a bunch of cop cars as company. "Not in my town boy!!"
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:07 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Pics or it didn't happen.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #30
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
You can also post videos here.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:15 PM   #31
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Hope you like attention. People will be pointing at you all the time. That's fine too as long as you don't pick up a bunch of cop cars as company. "Not in my town boy!!"
Sure it will get attention when in your town, but I think he is more the Sedona-type where it's just another alt-lifestyle. It's not for me personally, but have lived in enough Granola Country to see where this is headed.

Picture it in Quartzsite or Burnning Man.

Every January something happens that is hard to believe, unless you have seen it! According to the Arizona Highway Department, as many as 750,000 to 1,000,000 people, mostly in RV’s, converge on this sleepy little desert town, located just 20 miles east of the California border on Interstate 10, for the rock, gem and mineral shows, plus numerous flea markets and the Quartzsite Sports, Vacation & RV Show. This phenomenon started over 40 years ago and is now billed as “The Largest Gathering Of RVers in the World”...

It's RV Mecca.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
You can also post videos here.
I think we'd better lean back toward geodomes on buses.

Best laugh I've had all day. About the donkey, not the geodome.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #33
Traveling

Quote:
I think we'd better lean back toward geodomes on buses.

Best laugh I've had all day. About the donkey, not the geodome.
Sometimes I miss Tijuana.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Sometimes I miss Tijuana.
Here you are, Rusty:

https://youtu.be/5Z0pP8FqYvk

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:31 PM   #35
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Here you are, Rusty:

https://youtu.be/5Z0pP8FqYvk
Lol. That song reminds me of my Dating Game years.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Yeah, I figured it as a loft. Windows in every other triangle on the bottom row, the rest sheet metal except for the top circle of triangles are windows.

Structurally, not a problem. Would handle any wind loading just fine. Triangles are crazy strong.

Biggest problem I see is sealing it. Do you keep the dome/bus union rigid or flex?

Sauna presents some new thermal challenges to the materials selected.

Sauna would be a teepee ... on the ground lol don’t think I’m trying to even a “wet room”

Old 12-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Sure it will get attention when in your town, but I think he is more the Sedona-type where it's just another alt-lifestyle. It's not for me personally, but have lived in enough Granola Country to see where this is headed.

Picture it in Quartzsite or Burnning Man.

Every January something happens that is hard to believe, unless you have seen it! According to the Arizona Highway Department, as many as 750,000 to 1,000,000 people, mostly in RV’s, converge on this sleepy little desert town, located just 20 miles east of the California border on Interstate 10, for the rock, gem and mineral shows, plus numerous flea markets and the Quartzsite Sports, Vacation & RV Show. This phenomenon started over 40 years ago and is now billed as “The Largest Gathering Of RVers in the World”...

It's RV Mecca.
Or Arcosanti - Urban Laboratory?
Old 12-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Have to admit I'm having a hard time imagining how such a structure would handle all the twisting and flexing forces a Skoolie routinely produces.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #39
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Have to admit I'm having a hard time imagining how such a structure would handle all the twisting and flexing forces a Skoolie routinely produces.
Not uncommon. It is a slice of a sphere made of triangles- fixed angles. Crazy strong.

source
Most people find it incredulous to fathom the structural integrity of geodesic domes. This is especially because the materials used to make geodesic domes are significantly light. That is why they have very large strength to weight ratios. Any stress applied to a geodesic dome will be distributed evenly across it. This includes stress from tornados, earthquakes and snow loading. Their strength in turn increases as the size of the structure increases. This means that they get stronger as they get bigger!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post

Being an fire performance artist I get a stern looks quite a bit and honestly have had multi accounts of being harassed by “ppl of authority”. And honestly they are mostly just confused or think your invading a different state authority but if your not doing anything wrong then your not doing anything wrong , like in on town in we had been asked to move 3 times in one night just cause he was bored and I eventually asked him where exactly he had in mind and he point too the woods that was literally a mile down the road it was a great learning experience. Hahah talking to the cops through your window saying that your just sleeping and you already have my information if I was doing something wrong don’t ask me if I can move to begin with tell me I can’t park in the town limits and can you stop taping on my glass if you scratch it your getting reported . Who works for who , they serve the ppl and like to treat certain ppl like they arnt ppl , specially transient folk cause they think we are avoiding taxes just cause we choose not to own property. I’m the last person you need to worry about “worring” about being incognito, know your rights bro do it high vibe spread love , I don’t even have to be brought down to there low vibe man . Lowballers and halfassers always get jealous