Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Getting somewhere

Hello, I recently found a bus that I’m possibly going to pull the trigger on. It’s a 2002 International school bus, 127k miles, IC3800 engine (Dt466), fully inspected, 35 footer, $8,995...is this asking price to much. I live in Florida and this bus is in Ohio. I wasn’t sure if anyone on here lives near Cleveland, OH that could check if out? Or if I should try and go lower in price? Any suggestions are appreciated

RoadRanger20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Way too high for a bus from Ohio. Ohio is on the list of "don't even think of looking for a bus in this rusty state."
Realistically comparing prices from the last 2 years, that's a $3k-$4k bus max. in good shape. From Ohio I would be in the $2k-$2500 range. Floor in it will be toast.
As far as offering a lower price, how much would you pay for something you don't want? Unlikely if asking $9K that they will come down to a reasonable price for it. Musigenesis, was yours from Ohio? Never hurts to ask.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
x2 on what marc said.

If you haven't inspected the body/undercarriage and you "pull the trigger" on it, you might be in for a seriously unpleasant surprise after you take delivery.
Unless the bus actually came from a different part of the country where they don't salt the roads in winter.

Just sayin...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Most likely a bus from ohio will run wonderfully and will weigh less when it gets to florida than when it left ohio after you bounce all the rust off it on the trip down..
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Got pictures of the undercarriage? Ohio rust can be bad. VERY bad. My bus was from central PA and has some rust, but was not rotted away like most, but I am still dealing with rust even after 2 years.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:53 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Yeah, pictures would help a lot.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:16 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Seems with the skoolie revolution going on, bus prices are much much higher
Old 09-05-2020, 01:42 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I have noticed that as well. Supply and demand. As CadillacKid mentioned, the schools are hanging on to their older fleet in case that have to use them on their socially distanced routes ... meaning using them once, cleaning, ussing them again ... or way spaced out population of kids inside.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:20 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Which states should I stay away from because of rusty buses? Which states should I lean more toward when looking to purchase?
RoadRanger20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:54 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRanger20 View Post
Which states should I stay away from because of rusty buses? Which states should I lean more toward when looking to purchase?

when it comes to rust, the obvious.. ohio, indiana, illinois, michigan, iowa, wisconsin, PA, the eastern seaboard from DC northward... doesnt mean you cant get a good bus at a good price.. ive seen nice busses in some of these states.. but ive also seen terrible busses come out of arizona or texas as well.. not so much rust but broken, abused, etc..

you need to look at each bus individually.. much like if you buy a used car you go beyond what the shine on the hood looks like..

if you are buying from a dealer, you will generall pay more but of course you can travel there and crawl in, start, drive, examine the busses on your own schedule..

if buying from an auction then you are either at the mercy of the descriptions and any questions you ask the seller, or can travel there to look at busses on the provided inspection days.. which many have disallowed inspection days due to COVid.. of course your chances of paying much less than a dealer price when buying from an auction is high.

the big thing is that unless you want to get spendy dont plan to be in a hurry.. you'll probably bid and get outbid on a few.... if theres a bus you really want then dont blabber the link out on every skoolie site and facebook group.. while there are plenty of stand-up people, there are others who would see the link and go bid on your bus in compete..

another thing to watch for is "storm busses".. we just had a major hurricane in Louisiana.. if you all the sudden see really nice 2012 IC CE's for sale from that area.. be weary... ive seen busses in 4 feet of water still start, run, and drive afterwords. but they will soon turn moldy with electrical gremlins galore..

again every bus is different so just because you see an auction or a sale offer in a "bad" state , yet the bus turns your wheels.. give it a good look... just dont get all emotional that its the same color as grandma;s first car and jump on it out of haste.. or any bus for that matter..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
Where abouts in Cleveland? I’m in the Akron area. I don’t know diddly squat about buses but I know rust and if it’s not too far I may be able to go take a look underneath and take some pictures for you.
dwood443 is offline   Reply With Quote