Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #1

Gillig?

I'm really liking the Gillig transit low floor, I realize the drainage from shower and sink pose a problem but I think I have the solution.

Besides water is there a reason not to go with that style buses?

Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
IMHO: The lack of storage and tank space underneath is the biggest single drawback.

Gearing is also a concern. I have seen them geared well for highway and I have seen them geared for a 55mph max.

As far as drain/tank solutions go: I saw one that the gent had a grey tank that was about 8" tall and 24" x 48". His shower was on an 10" raised platform with the trap below.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Transit buses, low floor transit buses in particular, pose some interesting challenges to a convertor.

Most transits, the low floor buses in particular, have virtually no space below the floor to mount anything. On the other hand, since they have inside heights approaching 8' high some convertors have installed all of their tanks, plumbing, etc. on the floor and then built a new floor above all of it.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the info, I was hoping the under storage was the main issue but wasn't sure very little info on transit bus conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
IMHO: The lack of storage and tank space underneath is the biggest single drawback.

Gearing is also a concern. I have seen them geared well for highway and I have seen them geared for a 55mph max.

As far as drain/tank solutions go: I saw one that the gent had a grey tank that was about 8" tall and 24" x 48". His shower was on an 10" raised platform with the trap below.
Would the gearing be as simple as an axel swap? Imagine that would be cheaper then buying gears to replace, as I look I'm glad you offered that bit of info as it never even crossed my mind and while in no hurry 55mph would be a problem. ;)
Old 12-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
The costs come down to parts. If the axle is a common one that is readily available, then a direct swap is usually cheaper than an R&P change. No idea what is under a Gillie.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Some transit buses use conventional rear axles that are virtually the same as medium/heavy duty truck axles.

Other transits use gear reduction hubs that require a different wheel than a standard 10-hole Budd.

Finding different ratios for the first is relatively simple.

Finding different ratios for the second is relatively difficult.

Simple=inexpensive
Difficult=expensive.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #7

Well I believe I found a name for my future bus, subject to change bit "Double Nickel" seems fitting.

More I learn more i am set on this style of bus I only wish I could find a D60hf or like model with an affordable price tag. So far 28k is the lowest and that is not even possible for me but how awesome would that be. ;)

Thanks for the advice I been looking at 40ft transits most about 10k still steep compared to many school buses I have found but I am stuck on the look and design of transits.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

You don't want to limit yourself to just those buses owned and operated by transit agencies.

You may want to look at some former Hertz airport buses.

Hertz has used a lot of Gillig Phantoms (some low floor, some not) over the years. Most of them had Detroit Diesel engines with the newer ones having either the Series 50 or Series 60 engine in them.

While the older 2-cycle DD's were/are great engines they were not known for fuel efficiency. On the other hand the newer 4-cycle Series 50/60 engines have proven to be some of the most reliable engines on the road.

Good luck and happy trails to you.