Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2020, 10:28 PM   #1

Gillig bus

Hey there everyone!

potential buses for sale around me I have two 2007 Gillig buses city bus both have cummins ISM engines with Voith transmissions.

Anyone have any experience with these?

I tend to favor these a little more considering they offer big power and have ample head room for me as I am 6'4. I know there is the front wheel wells that take up space and there is no real space under then bus.

Another potential bus purchase is a Thomas T444e with Allison trans hoping the lady gets back to me and lets me know that it has a MD3060.

any input would be great. Thanks in advance.

Nurse_ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Both buses seem like they could be decent skoolies for you. All things considered and equal, I would go for the Gillig. Gilligs are getting hard to find.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Unless the buses with the Voith transmissions come with a brand new in the box replacement transmission I would stay away from them like they had the plague. Service, service parts, and shops willing to work on a Voith are basically non-existent.

Don't get me wrong, the Voith is a great heavy duty transmission. But they do get old and worn out. When they go out you are going to be basically SOL and dead by the side of the road.

You can find shops that will work on an Allison in just about every major city in the country and most truck stop shops as well. As far as the Voith is concerned, I might know one shop in the Oregon/Washington area that would tackle a Voith. But the cost will be ridiculous.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Unless the buses with the Voith transmissions come with a brand new in the box replacement transmission I would stay away from them like they had the plague. Service, service parts, and shops willing to work on a Voith are basically non-existent.

Don't get me wrong, the Voith is a great heavy duty transmission. But they do get old and worn out. When they go out you are going to be basically SOL and dead by the side of the road.

You can find shops that will work on an Allison in just about every major city in the country and most truck stop shops as well. As far as the Voith is concerned, I might know one shop in the Oregon/Washington area that would tackle a Voith. But the cost will be ridiculous.

I have heard the same about Voith. I think "Joe Black" Johan has one in his bus, "Dory"
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:38 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International/IC Bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 78
I have the T444e/MD3060 combo. It was a bit of a rare combo from what I’ve read and seen as the T444e didn’t make nearly the power a Md3060 was built to handle but they could be ordered that way. Fairfax County Public Schools in VA was notorious for ordering their buses in this fashion. I can assume it was for the reliability, serviceability, and parts availability of the T444e and the fact that it put little to no stress on the MD3060.

I don’t have much experience in buses other than mine but mine drives very well. Not a powerhouse but mine does have 6.17 gears which’s helps a lot. Also makes the 6th gear unlock that much more necessary, however.

Just some things to consider.
RamRod4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:44 AM   #6
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: ISM 10.8L, B400R
Same thing applies as far as emissions go too, my 01 cummins ISM is non emissions, that 07 will probably have EGR. I know where there are 4 2001 gillig phantoms for sale here in Wichita, KS. I am pretty sure all have ISM and B400R trans with retarders. You can find them on FB pretty easily with a bus search in Wichita. I can vouch for the guy, its who I bought mine from. Good luck in your search!!
JamesKS is offline   Reply With Quote