Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2019, 02:21 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinson View Post
Do you enjoy giving me bus PTSD? JkJk

It seemed as if the first shop didn't even want to touch the bus and didn't have the proper equipment/cables. The second shop had the same issue with their diagnostics, but they saw debris in the tranny fluid and then drained it. An employee at the second shop worked with me to explore replacing it with a more well-known brand, but didn't think it was possible. I also towed it to the first location through rush hour traffic because they were the only place nearby that had "Voith experience." The bus was stranded across the country and I had exhausted my funds. Bye bye bus. Oh well, I was handed a bomb(retarder) just waiting to explode.

I wouldn't blame the transmission brand completely. It was mostly the seller being dishonest AFTER the purchase with nothing to gain from it except my misery. If you find you're happy with its operation, find a shop that is familiar with them and telling the truth in case it gives you trouble at some point.

I think part of the "issue" is that these busses mainly end up in city fleets.. Columbus ohio has hundreds of them.. so they have paid mechanics to go to school on the engines/ transmissions/ electricals, etc.. as far as i know the only thing they send the actual busses out for is a full overhaul.. (but some have ended up auctioned due to corrosion before a single overhaul).....

most cities i know of have their own mechanics shops.. and if a trans dies they put it on a crate and send it out..

there isnt a lot of data opn how well these city busses perform on long highway journies.. although Joeblack did take his on a several-months long epic journey.. he had a few issues but nothing he couldnt get fixed on the road.. his i think is a Viking Low floor..

if it were my new Gillig bus I would contact Voith in york PA and ask about authorized service locations throughout the country.. places one can go to get serviced.. perhaps Gillig service centers are where you get thos transmissions serviced if there is a need.. just to have a guide to go on rather than be panicked on the road because it broke
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:58 PM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I think part of the "issue" is that these busses mainly end up in city fleets.. Columbus ohio has hundreds of them.. so they have paid mechanics to go to school on the engines/ transmissions/ electricals, etc.. as far as i know the only thing they send the actual busses out for is a full overhaul.. (but some have ended up auctioned due to corrosion before a single overhaul).....

most cities i know of have their own mechanics shops.. and if a trans dies they put it on a crate and send it out..

there isnt a lot of data opn how well these city busses perform on long highway journies.. although Joeblack did take his on a several-months long epic journey.. he had a few issues but nothing he couldnt get fixed on the road.. his i think is a Viking Low floor..

if it were my new Gillig bus I would contact Voith in york PA and ask about authorized service locations throughout the country.. places one can go to get serviced.. perhaps Gillig service centers are where you get thos transmissions serviced if there is a need.. just to have a guide to go on rather than be panicked on the road because it broke
-Christopher
I believe you're right about fleet mechanics as far as I know. It would be nice to have access to those services/experience if you're an owner of one of these city buses. This would be a good start.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:26 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Low Floor Bus
Engine: Cummins ISL diesel 540 cu in
Rated Cap: 32
Good info today

Well my email to the City paid off, this from the City Garage Supervisor,

"Hello Carl, these are the manuals we have for the bus. I’m having some issues with our computer system right now for the service records, but the bus has been serviced every 3,000 miles, engine oil gets done every 6,000, transmission and all other fluids every 24,000, differential oil gets done at 100,000 miles. I know that the A/C in this bus doesn’t work it would probably be cheaper and more cost effective to mount a roof top unit. If you have more questions feel free to ask."

He sent me 4 manuals PDF format. Drivers, Service, Parts and electrical schematic. One manual is over 400 pages and the service manual is over 500.

I will load onto my phone so I have them on the road. In the future, I will get them printed hard copy. That way I can get them greasy, etc, like they should be.

Anyway, feeling better about my journey now.

BaconFarms

I did ask him to send the service records when he gets his computer up and running again.
BaconFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:49 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconFarms View Post
Well my email to the City paid off, this from the City Garage Supervisor,

"Hello Carl, these are the manuals we have for the bus. I’m having some issues with our computer system right now for the service records, but the bus has been serviced every 3,000 miles, engine oil gets done every 6,000, transmission and all other fluids every 24,000, differential oil gets done at 100,000 miles. I know that the A/C in this bus doesn’t work it would probably be cheaper and more cost effective to mount a roof top unit. If you have more questions feel free to ask."

He sent me 4 manuals PDF format. Drivers, Service, Parts and electrical schematic. One manual is over 400 pages and the service manual is over 500.

I will load onto my phone so I have them on the road. In the future, I will get them printed hard copy. That way I can get them greasy, etc, like they should be.

Anyway, feeling better about my journey now.

BaconFarms

I did ask him to send the service records when he gets his computer up and running again.
It seriously eases peace of mind buying from a school system that regularly maintains them. I have worried little from buying sight unseen buses from schools.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Voith D864.3, 4-Speed transmission

OK, after ready some of the service and parts manuals, I can say for sure,

280 horsepower ISL Cummins

Voith D864.3, 4-Speed, .70 overdrive gearing.

5.38 differential gears.

So, that with the tire size, the online computer says 69 MPH at engine rated speed of 2100 rpm's.

However, after reading another travelers story, his hit the governor at 64.5 mph's.

I can live with that. Two weeks ago I drove a crane truck back from Midland TX, 1440 miles, at 59 MPH, standing on the go peddle the whole way. Should have brought a brick with me to put on the peddle.

BaconFarms

I didn't see a cruise control. Darn it.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #26
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
No fuel gauge? Of all the things to save a few dollars on
Makes sense to the bean counters in that the bus would always be on the same route so they'd fuel every night and no problem.
shorthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconFarms View Post
OK, after ready some of the service and parts manuals, I can say for sure,

280 horsepower ISL Cummins

Voith D864.3, 4-Speed, .70 overdrive gearing.

5.38 differential gears.

So, that with the tire size, the online computer says 69 MPH at engine rated speed of 2100 rpm's.

However, after reading another travelers story, his hit the governor at 64.5 mph's.

I can live with that. Two weeks ago I drove a crane truck back from Midland TX, 1440 miles, at 59 MPH, standing on the go peddle the whole way. Should have brought a brick with me to put on the peddle.

BaconFarms

I didn't see a cruise control. Darn it.
Hey you care to post those PDFs here?? I would like to have them personally and I'm sure a few others might as well.
My bus is gov at 55 it wasn't a fun 450 mile trip home with it LOL, I know what you mean about standing on the go pedal.

Thanks bud.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:39 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Not too sure how to do that correctly, but would,

BaconFarms
Old 01-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 8 seats, 5 wheelchairs
Instead of a brick, I've found that red box with the break down triangles in them work well. On a pedal where you can set it on top, great. Or like my bus the floor is flat and I set them on the floor and slide the box up to the pedal that moves in a forward motion anyway ans sit back and ride!
1dmpo is offline   Reply With Quote