Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 60
Gluvit - Anybody Used it on a bus roof?

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Tex-RM...ag=googhydr-20

Anybody used this stuff on their roof?

I was pondering the whole idea of how to seal all of the rivets on the roof.....don't really want to trust them, don't want to have to use urethane seam sealer on every rivet.....not a big fan of the elastomeric rubber roof paints.

I've used this stuff on a John boat before and it worked awesome. Its marine proven for below the water line, designed to flex. I just wirewheeled the bottom in a couple hours painted this stuff in and Bam.....completely leak free. Little paint and sand over top and it was a great boat again.

Downside is its normally applied directly to aluminum steel or wood.....but I think it would adhere to paint....or i could always blast the top. Its quite runny, and normally runs into leaky spots to seal the leak. I imagine it could be a bit of a mess on the convex bus roof.....running too thin maybe?

Probably not a good idea so I was just wondering if anybody has used it. To my knowledge....I don't have any leaks. Do I just plan on sanding, urethane the seams and then painting?

tlzimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:58 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
I just put 4 thick coats of oil-based enamel, and if there was any gap around any rivet, I worked the paint in. All were sealed shut for sure. I also worked it in at the seams between panels, closed them all up, except for a few spots. Then I hit those spots with 3M urethane window sealant (Windo-Weld) since I had the stuff, and opened the tube for sealing the patch I made when I moved the hole for the A/C lines over about 2". Dude who installed them put the hole right under the bracket, which made it a pain to re-install. Plus (s)he didn't even get it centered on the roof.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:41 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
why not a fan of the roof coatings? There are the silicon ones that don't shrink and crack, the cheaper ones..they shrink and crack.
I got some real cheap silicon stuff from a guy who sells junk and has it all kept in utility trailers and he uses it to seal the roofs and says never had any issues.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:10 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 60
Mostly because when you have that rubber roof on there and something leaks well then it's a bitch to find and fix.....plus my bus will get dusty in storage and those are hard to clean. At least the ones I've seen before.
tlzimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:50 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlzimmerman View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Tex-RM...ag=googhydr-20

Anybody used this stuff on their roof?

I was pondering the whole idea of how to seal all of the rivets on the roof.....don't really want to trust them, don't want to have to use urethane seam sealer on every rivet.....not a big fan of the elastomeric rubber roof paints.

I've used this stuff on a John boat before and it worked awesome. Its marine proven for below the water line, designed to flex. I just wirewheeled the bottom in a couple hours painted this stuff in and Bam.....completely leak free. Little paint and sand over top and it was a great boat again.

Downside is its normally applied directly to aluminum steel or wood.....but I think it would adhere to paint....or i could always blast the top. Its quite runny, and normally runs into leaky spots to seal the leak. I imagine it could be a bit of a mess on the convex bus roof.....running too thin maybe?

Probably not a good idea so I was just wondering if anybody has used it. To my knowledge....I don't have any leaks. Do I just plan on sanding, urethane the seams and then painting?
That sounds like it could be a product worth trying. If it worked it would be better than having blobs of sealant on the rivots. Maybe brush it on the seams with a small brush.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote