Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2020, 08:01 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE300 6 window shortie
Engine: DT466
Going look at a bus

I’m going look at a 2004 International 6 window. As a first time buyer I just wanted to make sure I get all of my information before I look. Description says 7.3L, Allison 2000, runs and drives great, tires are in great shape. 211K miles

How do I figure out if it’s pre-emissions? Is that a deal breaker?
I know I need to get under there and look for rust, it’s a TX bus.
I’m assuming I need to drive it around and watch temperature/make sure gauges work. See how fast it actually goes, I’m assuming most are around 55-60mph.
Make sure there’s no obvious leaks/drips after driving. Ask for service records.
Anything else??

Also if you are going look out of state at a bus and decide to buy it, how does insurance and temp tag work? I use progressive for my regular auto, but I’m assuming I will have to call and get commercial insurance for personal use liability until I get converted to RV title (or go thru VT)? I’m in Louisiana.

drtbreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The 7.3 is a fine motor. Pre-emissions. Not the most powerful, but in a 6-window shorty it should be just fine. Parts are *VERY* widely available. It may be electronically governed to 55 or 60 (which can be easily reprogrammed). See what the RPM is at top speed to get an idea if removing the governed speed will get a good highway speed (It probably should).

I have this engine in my own 6-window shorty, but the Spicer 5-speed manual. Mine was geared 5.38 and was limited to about 55. I have recently regeared it to 3.91 (I have yet to get the speedometer reprogrammed) but by the math it should cruise 75 or so at max RPM.

Sounds like you've got a fair grasp on the other stuff to check. Insurance for the trip home is essential, the temp tag not so much, if getting one will be a hassle or expensive. Just keep all your recent purchase paperwork with you during the trip. Feel free to make a home-made "Just Purchased" sign to put in the back window if you can't get a temp tag easily.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote