Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2007, 11:04 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Going to look at a potential bus

That price does seem pretty high to me. I think $2,000 is the most I'd pay for that bus. I'd offer him $2,000 and if he doesn't take it, leave your name and number. Maybe he'll get desperate to sell it. There's not a whole lot of people dying to buy a school bus. Especially an over priced 21 year old bus. I have read though, that the 9.0 gets pretty good gas mileage. 10-12 miles per gallon! Don't quote me on that. That's what I heard.

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I paid $2850 for an '86 Intl, DT466, MT643, 73k original miles. It was converted for the maintanence crew. I thought I paid too much, but I wanted that motor and trans. Mine is a very clean bus. Fires right up and purrs. Not as smooth as the RE Bluebird, but I can't have everything. It's #3 down below. I think $4000 is too much.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:14 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Even his lowball of $3500 seems awfully high to me. I paid $1250 ($1407.25 out the door) for my 1989 65 passenger Wayne. It wasn't new by any means, but had less than 90,000 miles on it and has been a spot-on reliable machine. It did need new front tires, but that doesn't account for the price difference between the one in the ad and it...especially when you start looking at mileage, engine (the 6.6 Brazilian is nothing special, but was in production more recently than the 9.0), year, etc.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
Bus Geek

the 9.0 liter has a reputation of making absolutely no power. Very wimpy. But, they are supposed to get better fuel economy than most of the other diesels. I think that 10+ is almost the rule with a 9 liter.

since it doesn't make any power, it's almost certainly mated to the allison at545 i would assume.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Somewhere between say 45 and 75. You really need to know some of the other factors such as horsepower rating, axle gear ratio, transmission (AT545 or MT643?), tire size, governed RPM, etc to have a clue.

My bus does 65 (faster if it REALLY wants to, but 65 is good) with 4.56 gears, 10.00R20 rubber, AT545, 2600 governed RPMs, and a 185 horsepower 6.6 Brazilian.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
Bus Nut

If you put new tires on a big bus, you are looking at $1,500 at least! I looked into it a while back. My bus is going to need some new tires soon. You could get retreads for maybe half that. That is what I will probably do.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
Almost There

4 grand seems quite a lot to be spending on an old school bus.. I'd try and haggle him down to maybe $1750. But if hes already asking 4 grand then maybe $2500's more ideal..

As for tires- New tires for a bus would be rather expensive.. Check you're local bus barn, sometimes they'll give you tires that are still good but they just can't use anymore.

Good luck.
behappystupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockS2K
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I called him again to ask my questions. Wanted to do those over the phone so I could easily write down answers. Here's what I got.
  • What model International it is? Not sure - it's an 86 model -muh...not that important [/*:m:7bgyj1cm]
  • Gross Vehicle Weight? says it is under 26,000lbs -that is possible depending on how many seats it has. What it is registered as and what the manufacturer rate it for may vary. It doesn't really matter anyway[/*:m:7bgyj1cm]
  • What Auto Transmission is it? Allison 4 speed -I'd put my money on it being an AT545[/*:m:7bgyj1cm]
  • Top speed? says it'll comfortably do 65mph-that is believable though I'd want to test drive it just to be sure[/*:m:7bgyj1cm]
  • Gas Mileage? ~10 mpg -perfectly reasonable[/*:m:7bgyj1cm]
  • What are the tire sizes? 9x20 -radials (any ideas where I could best price these? What is the correct way to search for them?) -try the local bus barn and truck tire places. That's really all you have to go on. If your dual spacing will allow for it, 10.00R20's (11x22.5 in tubeless speak) will be slightly taller giving you better mileage and they are going to be a little easier to track down. Of course you're buying new rims then most likely...[/*:m:7bgyj1cm]
  • Are they in good shape? usable, maybe half-tread[/*:m:7bgyj1cm]
  • Solid or split rims? Dayton split wheel (are these the dangerous ones?) -the dangerous ones haven't been manufactured in probably 40 years, if not more. They are the kind with the big star hub that clamps to the outer wheel that mounts the tire. There are advantages and disadvantages to this wheel type, but I think it's what the majority of us have still.[/*:m:7bgyj1cm]
  • All doors, windows, lights, electricals in working order? all working -good![/*:m:7bgyj1cm]
  • Any leaks? no leaks -again, good![/*:m:7bgyj1cm]
  • Any known issues that will need addressed? paint is rough - faded blue -painting is half the fun anyway[/*:m:7bgyj1cm]
  • Reason for selling? started converting it to an RV but never got far with it - not using it -I bet that is the single most common excuse for selling.[/*:m:7bgyj1cm]
I'm still not a huge fan of the price. Let him know you're serious, but not at that price. After he sits on it for a while without getting any real interest he might be willing to negotiate.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I'm still not a huge fan of the price. Let him know you're serious, but not at that price. After he sits on it for a while without getting any real interest he might be willing to negotiate.
Same here, I paid $1,850 for mine, and it's a 91... this was over 3 years ago so at the time it was 13 years old. There are plenty of good deals out there.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevorlet AT545 Allison auto
Engine: 8.2 litter Detriot Deisel
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via AIM to DizzyIzzy Send a message via MSN to DizzyIzzy Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyIzzy
Re: Going to look at a potential bus (Now with lots of PICS)

I agree. The price is too high. I like the deal of no seats though. Took me 3 full days to rid mine of the seats. And then it was a trial to get rid of them. I would def low ball the price till he breaks. I think $2000 is the highest I would go. Don't be shy when haggling. Remember if he doesn't come down you can always find more sweet buses out there. I would not want a gasser! Go diesel, its the best way then when your dont converting it you can go veggie. I personally would walk away from the rusty blue bus. Get a newer bus. Mine I just got has big rust issues and trust me you dont want the ol rusty. Wish I had spent more time looking at the rust.
Left a bus stop in its place
The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Of a bus to never-ever land"
DizzyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #11

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Two things that I noticed about that bus that are a plus. First, it has the raised roof. Second, it looks like it has barn doors (half) with the emergency exit. That would cost you a bunch of time and some $$ to do yourself. I would try to grind him on the price. I have not seen barn doors like that on any bus. That is worth some $$ to someone that wants a toy hauler.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Talk them down. There is a lot going on with that bus that I do like. It has a raised roof, the tires seem ok, it has that little VW motor, etc. However, it does have a little rust it looked like and is certainly going to take a lot of cleaning. What's up with that wiring under the left side of the dash? That bothers me a little. Also...you said 9.0 IH which is a diesel, but the fuel door says "Gasoline Only." Unless that fuel door is a retrofit for the VW motor I'm cornfuzzled here.

That radio mount with the switches for internal, external, etc is the same as the one in my bus only mine is labelled as RAC. I still haven't figured out the wiring going to that.

What's going on with that black half-assed headliner thing in there?

That rear doors are UBER cool. They almost look like a factory option...one that I've never seen before. If someone did that themselves they did a VERY nice job.

As for the GVWR of 26,000...well...if you title it as an RV it really doesn't matter what it weighs in MOST states. Your mileage may vary. But here is the cool thing. Commercial vehicle laws apply to vehicles GREATER than 26,000 lbs. That means that at exactly 26,000 you're still safe. Either way...as an RV it probably won't matter. If it does just register it at a GVWR of less than 26,000 lbs. Most states allow that as long as you don't exceed the weight you register it for.

Thanks for getting the pics for us. The decision to buy is certainly going to be yours and yours alone, but I think the general concensus is to wait a little and see if the price comes down at all. I know it's hard not to jump on the first one you see, but even I waited a while after I found mine that was my dream bus when I saw it. I even went on two test drives. The decision was pretty much made the second time I went, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time in my state of elation.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:

It has a diesel VW motor under it that was being used as a generator. It would turn over but wouldn't crank up. Says he thinks it's just a distributer issue and he's had it running before. Could handle a 10,000 WATT generator, he says. This bus had A/C, so it's supposedly fully insulated and windows are tinted. I could see some of the insulation in different areas.

Thoughts?
I'm not a diesel vw guy, but i don't think a DIESEL has much use for a distributor since it doesn't have spark plugs.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
I'm not a diesel vw guy, but i don't think a DIESEL has much use for a distributor since it doesn't have spark plugs.

I think he might have been talking about the Bosch VE injector pump since it is a rotary style pump, often called a "distributer style" pump.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
Quote:

It has a diesel VW motor under it that was being used as a generator. It would turn over but wouldn't crank up. Says he thinks it's just a distributer issue and he's had it running before. Could handle a 10,000 WATT generator, he says. This bus had A/C, so it's supposedly fully insulated and windows are tinted. I could see some of the insulation in different areas.

Thoughts?
I am pretty sure those were spark plug wires in the picture that I saw. I would be willing to bet the reason that it has a seperate fuel tank is because it is a gas engine. If someone has been trying to run it on diesel that is something else that the new owner will have to deal with.
i hope things turn out like you want and you are very happy because of it. But imho I would not pay that much for that bus.
Just thinking out loud.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #16
Bus Nut

$2,000 would be a fair price, but be firm.

I wouldn't pay more than that for it, bus's can be had for $2,000 or less all day long. Many are in good shape.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevorlet AT545 Allison auto
Engine: 8.2 litter Detriot Deisel
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via AIM to DizzyIzzy Send a message via MSN to DizzyIzzy Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyIzzy

When you talk him down show him $2000 in cold hard cash. I think that would be a hard thing to turn down. With the age it is you really should not pay more than $2000.
Left a bus stop in its place
The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Of a bus to never-ever land"
DizzyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #18
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyaustintx
I got it for $250
You're joking, right?
I think he meant $2500

With the price of motors now a days..
behappystupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Maybe if it had a full tank of gas, that would double the value of the bus! So, I'm confused, did you buy the bus?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #20
Bus Nut

I would NOT pay more than $2,000 for that bus. It looks like it needs a lot of work. I paid $2,000 for my 1993 International with a 7.3L diesel. It's newer, newer looking and runs great. There are better deals out there. Who knows what's wrong with that generator in your bus. If it's not running, I certainly wouldn't consider it when negotiating price. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay that much for that bus. I'd give the guy a few days and take the cash and show it to him. If he says no, give him your name and number and tell him he may not have long since you're still looking. He'll probably call you or you'll find a better bus. Either way, it's going to work out.