Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #21
Skoolie

Re: Good deal for a bus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar896
I think the 643 was stopped before the HDX was made. I think they both have MD3060's or 2000 Series. I think the 98 Amtran has the 643, but im trying to find something a little bigger since its only a 71 passenger. Would a DT466E and a 643 make a good combo?

M1031: I did some more research on the HDX. And I found one of my friends that drives one for a transit service, so it had the transit like setup, with the wheelchair lift and stuff. I got to ride in one for a mile and a half and your right while he was going to fuel it up, those stock mirrors do vibrate ALOT. It seems like there gonna fall off driving down the road. Apparently the newer ones he has drove dont vibrate half as bad, maybe if I see a newer one thats been in an accident ill see if i can buy the mirrors off it. He hasent had any issues with the dash, but the one he drives is an 04 so im not sure if that has anything to do with it. For the push button transmission ones they have had problems but the one im hoping to get doesn't have a push button.
You are probably right about the HDX having the 3060. A 466/643 would be great...I've not ever seen one though. Only DT's I have driven had the 545, which you dont want.

I think the 3060 is all push button. Someone can confirm this to be sure.
Your right the 3060 is all push button. I believe the cheaper one has a 2000 series and most of those are the normal ones (not sure exactly what there called). Im gonna confirm that with the seller tomorrow morning. I found a All American RE that has A/C in my price range that im looking at now also, almost the same as yours (2 years newer though) It has the 8.3 Engine, gotta check about the transmission. No one ever says what the transmission is on there Craigslist ad.

jmar896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Ask them if you can grab an oil sample....that would be perfect! Let us know what you find out!
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #23
Skoolie

It's 350 miles away so unless I decide to go for it I don't think I'm gonna get an oil sample. What is real important about an oil sample, I'm new to diesel stuff and almost all my cars I bought have been new. I would ask my son (he's going to a technical high school in a mechanic program) but he's asleep so I couldn't ask him till tomorrow morning.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
It's 350 miles away so unless I decide to go for it I don't think I'm gonna get an oil sample. What is real important about an oil sample, I'm new to diesel stuff and almost all my cars I bought have been new. I would ask my son (he's going to a technical high school in a mechanic program) but he's asleep so I couldn't ask him till tomorrow morning.
Same as you getting a blood test.

Any internal coolant leaks, metal partials (bearing wear), carbon content (ring wear), ect.

My favorite is getting the oil tested every 15,000km before changing it. With a good twin element bypass filter system, I could run my oil 50,000 to 70,000 km before the samples said I needed to change it. It used to cost $15, I have no idea now.

You also want to watch the oil pressure. It should be on the high end when cold right after starting at 2000 RPM (about 60 psi on both mine), but lower at idle. Low oil pressure will show after warm up, at idle. Low oil pressure is caused by bearing wear, oil pump wear, ect. I don't know what normal is off hand, Google will tell you. I'm just to tired from work today to search right now, and it will vary with engine model.

My 92 TC2000 had a blood test before I paid for it. Came back clean bill of health at 435,000km.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Quote:
An oil sample [$25] will tell you all about the engine. Better yet: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/

Kids are resilient...wake him up! LOL!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #26
Bus Geek

That's a good link. No better explanation around.

They sure do a lot for $25.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 04-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

I could have explained the first sentence, but I didnt want to show off.

Even if you dont get one before you buy, definitely get one done when you get it home.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #28
Skoolie

So some bad news. The All American I was looking at was sold today. I found some other buses though, and this TC2000 I found I really like. It is partaily converted but not done and has all around Spray foam all around.
http://nmi.craigslist.org/for/4407548814.html
Its a little further than i would like but the real hard stuff is done and I might save more by getting that one than doing all of that myself.

I also found this one that is out of my budget but my wife loves it, but as my son pointed out its probably gonna be hard driving that (45ft) plus potentially towing a 18 foot mini van at the back.
http://ocala.craigslist.org/rvs/4413472318.html
I am not real sold on it since its from Florida they probably didn't put a lot of insulation in and most of the stuff we need in the north.

I found this one also
http://athensohio.craigslist.org/cto/4412429153.html
I think it is a little pricy but has the DT446 so it may be a better choice engine wise, Im gonna see about negotiating him down. It has underfloor storage and thats nice.

Any thoughts on any of these?
Thanks
Old 04-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Just because someone puts $x into it, doesnt make it worth that much more, so negative on the first one. Dont give the 2nd one a thought. The better of all to me would be the last one, with the DT. But what do I know, I live in MT.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Boy-i thought OPus would like the 1st because of the color.
I think the first one is a rocking deal at $5k. How much is the spray foam if you were planning on getting it done? or painted? Or windows changed? Or interior framed out? How much time would be saved from starting with a bus full of seats?

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #31
Skoolie

Quote:
Just because someone puts $x into it, doesnt make it worth that much more, so negative on the first one. Dont give the 2nd one a thought. The better of all to me would be the last one, with the DT. But what do I know, I live in MT.
Ok. Ill look in to that one more, I bet it has been well kept, he still has all of the original parts lists and everything. Any idea of what that vent looking thing is next to the school bus sign on the front?

I expect a lot more units for sale after the 422 Auction this Sat, I might be bidding online. Last one a few HDX's sold for 2600. If I can scoop one up that cheap I definitely will.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
Boy-i thought OPus would like the 1st because of the color.
I saw it and it messed with my head for a split second.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Any idea of what that vent looking thing is next to the school bus sign on the front?
I think thats where the .50 cal pokes through. ;)
Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #34
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
I think the first one is a rocking deal at $5k. How much is the spray foam if you were planning on getting it done? or painted? Or windows changed? Or interior framed out? How much time would be saved from starting with a bus full of seats?
Yeah, thats what i were thinking too. And it has 2 roof top air/heat units, a furnace, a hot water heater, a fridge,a stove,a microwave,a 4800 watt on board electric start generator with distribution/transfer switch panel, a on demand water pump, water tank, sewage tanks, chassis mount propane tank. and he ran All 12volt, and 110volt wire is ran along with cable for tv. (Copyed and pasted most of that, too lazy to write it out). I think that is a good 3-4K invested, so if all of the other stuff falls through then hopefully this one is still avail. If i could get him down to 4K than that would be great since the bus is worth about 2.5K or so plus all the extra.

Quote:
Quote:
Any idea of what that vent looking thing is next to the school bus sign on the front?
I think thats where the .50 cal pokes through. ;)
My wife wont allow that one
Old 04-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Well, I just re-looked at that green one. I think I will change my mind and go with you and sdwarf36. Thats a lot of work done already, its got newish tires. It will most likely be a 5.9 with a 545. Make him an offer and see what he says.

The other one had a manual and such so that would make me think it had good maintenance and record keeping. Beats me, flip a coin. I'd surely call both though!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #36
Skoolie

Quote:
Well, I just re-looked at that green one. I think I will change my mind and go with you and sdwarf36. Thats a lot of work done already, its got newish tires. It will most likely be a 5.9 with a 545. Make him an offer and see what he says.

The other one had a manual and such so that would make me think it had good maintenance and record keeping. Beats me, flip a coin. I'd surely call both though!
I will call him tomorrow and see. Its 10 30 here and he only wants phone calls. It is a 5.9, I know that. He doesnt know how to find out what transmission is in it and how to tell so its sort of a wild guess. If that goes through I just gotta wait till my next paycheck.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

It would be an Allison 545.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #38
Skoolie

Quote:
Damn. All I've heard about those is they eat up fuel. Maybe I'll get my son to swap it out once I have the cash. Will a mt643 work in a 92 tc2000? I believe I read about one with the mt643 on this forum but I forgot what year it is. Tomorrow I'll search for that thread again.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
Quote:
Damn. All I've heard about those is they eat up fuel. Maybe I'll get my son to swap it out once I have the cash. Will a mt643 work in a 92 tc2000? I believe I read about one with the mt643 on this forum but I forgot what year it is. Tomorrow I'll search for that thread again.
Yes, they could be ordered instead of the 545 when the bus was ordered, but cost more.

So yes, mt643 bolts right up.

Nat

Old 04-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #40
Skoolie

Unfortunately the TC2000 isn't going to work out. I am reconsidering the 98 amtran re due to its engine (I'm thinking about offering 3K), and the 95 international I am still working something out. Has anyone saw any nice buses on there local Craigslist lately? Searchtemptest isn't working well and most of the results don't show up for 2 or 3 days after there posted.
Thanks
Jake