Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2019, 06:22 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Good Tool Deals

I couldn't find a generic, on-going thread to post about any good deals on tools or supplies, so adding this one.

For anyone in the Sears rewards program (free to join), you currently can get $15 off a $100 purchase, and if you spend $100 you get $100 back in rewards points. So essentially spend $115, get $15 off instantly, and earn $100 back (payable in 4 weekly $25 installments). This has been going on for the past 2-months and has enabled me to acquire loads of Craftsman and Dewalt power tools, pry-bars, sand paper, grinding discs, cutting discs, power cords, etc. for probably 25% of the cost of what I would have paid if I bought all the items at Lowes or Home Depot. I also got a space heater, work lights, goggles, face masks and things like that. I just bought a $140 20v cordless impact driver and drill combo set today for what will work out to be about $25.

Not sure how many people shop at Sears anymore, but at the moment there are some amazing deals there if you play the rewards program right.

cofrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofrari View Post
I couldn't find a generic, on-going thread to post about any good deals on tools or supplies, so adding this one.

For anyone in the Sears rewards program (free to join), you currently can get $15 off a $100 purchase, and if you spend $100 you get $100 back in rewards points. So essentially spend $115, get $15 off instantly, and earn $100 back (payable in 4 weekly $25 installments). This has been going on for the past 2-months and has enabled me to acquire loads of Craftsman and Dewalt power tools, pry-bars, sand paper, grinding discs, cutting discs, power cords, etc. for probably 25% of the cost of what I would have paid if I bought all the items at Lowes or Home Depot. I also got a space heater, work lights, goggles, face masks and things like that. I just bought a $140 20v cordless impact driver and drill combo set today for what will work out to be about $25.

Not sure how many people shop at Sears anymore, but at the moment there are some amazing deals there if you play the rewards program right.
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I've kinda given up on Sears, partly because there's not one left near me and the quality of Craftsman tools had gone downhill. In the event I need to swap damaged tools (kinda rare, but still ...) the last thing I have time for is finding the nearest Sears is 2 hours away.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I've kinda given up on Sears, partly because there's not one left near me and the quality of Craftsman tools had gone downhill. In the event I need to swap damaged tools (kinda rare, but still ...) the last thing I have time for is finding the nearest Sears is 2 hours away.

You can still get DeWalt tools there though. I'm lucky enough to pass one of the 2 remaining locations in my state on my way home from work.

I'm not advocating for Sears or the Craftsman brand - just that there are some good deals there right now. That being said I've had good luck with my recent Craftsman tool purchases.
cofrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Plus they quit replacing tools like ratchets years ago, now you leave them and they repair them, you get your stuff back.
The repairs parts are crap and don't last near as long the originals.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
You can do Craftsman warranty swap at Lowe’s now.

Too bad Stanley bought the name and outsourced production to China. Quality is not there anymore.

RIP Craftsman
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
You can do Craftsman warranty swap at Lowe’s now.

Too bad Stanley bought the name and outsourced production to China. Quality is not there anymore.

RIP Craftsman

Craftsman quality took a dive long before Lowe's got into the picture. That's one reason Sears went downhill over the last 20 years or so, they started cutting costs (quality of goods) and started selling Wal-mart quality goods at Sears level prices, and people stopped buying at the inflated prices.

Also, Shame on Sears for letting Amazon beat them at their own game! For many, many years Sears was *THE* go-to mail order place, way-back-when you could order darn near anything through Sears Mail order, from pocket-watches to entire houses (shipped in a boxcar as a build-it-yourself kit) to wives! (basically a mail correspondence version of today's dating apps, they could even arrange transportation should the couple wish to meet). Sears had the advantage of a fully built out distribution and logistics network, and many retail locations, Amazon had to start from scratch.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Craftsman quality took a dive long before Lowe's got into the picture. That's one reason Sears went downhill over the last 20 years or so, they started cutting costs (quality of goods) and started selling Wal-mart quality goods at Sears level prices, and people stopped buying at the inflated prices.

Also, Shame on Sears for letting Amazon beat them at their own game! For many, many years Sears was *THE* go-to mail order place, way-back-when you could order darn near anything through Sears Mail order, from pocket-watches to entire houses (shipped in a boxcar as a build-it-yourself kit) to wives! (basically a mail correspondence version of today's dating apps, they could even arrange transportation should the couple wish to meet). Sears had the advantage of a fully built out distribution and logistics network, and many retail locations, Amazon had to start from scratch.
And Sears didn’t want to replace you with a robot (well maybe they would have if they’d gotten that far)

Support other retailers online or otherwise!
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote