Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
Skoolie

Great Stuff foam and vertical fiberglass surfaces.

The front and back roof sections of my GMC van-based schoolie are made from fiberglass. I'd like to insulate these vertical surfaces but cannot come up with any idea other than a spray foam insulation like Great Stuff.

Does anybody know if Great Stuff (or similar) will stick to vertical fiberglass surfaces?

Also, what prep work might be involved to help it stick?

Thanks

Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Spray foam will stick to fiberglass no problem. For optimum adhesion, I would still clean the surface with acetone to cut grease, then rough it up with very coarse sandpaper. Then, a final swipe with acetone on a lint-free towel.

I do not recommend Great Stuff. Get a two part closed cell foam kit like the ones made by Touch 'n Seal. Ebay is your best price source.

Compared to closed cell foam, great stuff is like prison food up against five diamond resort cuisine. Great Stuff is not a closed cell foam. As with all open cell foams, it is an inferior insulator (measured by r-value/inch of thickness) and it is not a vapor barrier at all. Also, you don't get enough stiffness to dampen resonance in body panels, and you don't get the low frequency noise reduction of closed cell foam either.
BlueBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBirdman View Post
Spray foam will stick to fiberglass no problem. For optimum adhesion, I would still clean the surface with acetone to cut grease, then rough it up with very coarse sandpaper. Then, a final swipe with acetone on a lint-free towel.

I do not recommend Great Stuff. Get a two part closed cell foam kit like the ones made by Touch 'n Seal. Ebay is your best price source.
BB,

Thanks for the help and the tip about Touch and Seal.

Since all of it is molded fiberglass, I'm figuring spray foam is the easiest and probably most appropriate.

I'm sure you know the mess that was in there already.

My biggest concern is insulation, but adhesion is a real close second place ... maybe even a tie!

I'll be looking to place an order.

Thanks again!
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
BB,

Thanks for the help and the tip about Touch and Seal.

Since all of it is molded fiberglass, I'm figuring spray foam is the easiest and probably most appropriate.

I'm sure you know the mess that was in there already.

My biggest concern is insulation, but adhesion is a real close second place ... maybe even a tie!

I'll be looking to place an order.

Thanks again!
You're welcome. Glad I could help! There are other brands of two-part closed cell foam kits, but I am very partial to Touch 'n Seal. They cater to do-it-yourselfers and have produced several youtube vids to help people out. They will also talk with you on the phone if you need help/have questions.

FYI, spray foam insulation is measured by the board foot, which is 12" x 12" x 1" thick. I would put at least 3" in any roof/cap area, and more is better. That means that an 8' x 3' cap area would need 72 board feet, and you should allow 10% extra for overspray/waste.

Touch 'n Seal makes a 200 board foot kit and a 600 board foot kit. If you get the 600 board foot kit, you can use the leftover material to insulate your bus floor from the underside - an amazing comfort upgrade regardless of the climate you're in.

I should probably become a dealer for the stuff...!

BTW, for anyone else reading this, I only recommend the kits for small jobs like the one Tedd is working on. If you're insulating an entire skoolie, it will be more economical to have a pro spray it for you.
BlueBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote