Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #21
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,264
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
So far my "remodeling" (if you could call it such) has consisted of removing the stop sign, front pedestrian bar, some excess wiring (being *VERY* careful not to remove anything necessary) and storing some boxes in the back. It still has the factory seating in it.

Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:32 PM   #22
Skoolie
 
debbiejay4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
So far my "remodeling" (if you could call it such) has consisted of removing the stop sign, front pedestrian bar, some excess wiring (being *VERY* careful not to remove anything necessary) and storing some boxes in the back. It still has the factory seating in it.
Brad, it would be my fear to remove something that shouldn't!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
debbiejay4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:18 PM   #23
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiejay4444 View Post
Where can I see your bus, Robin?
I've been unable to get any recent picks loaded with my new android device, but you can get a fair idea from pics in my build if you click on the link beneath my name.

I don't know where you will do most of your driving of your bus, but maneuverability is key for running around on logging roads here in the OR coastal mountains. My axles are 11 feet apart, which is shorter than many crew cab trucks, allowing remarkable turning ability for this size of a vehicle. Granted she's got a big butt that swings a bit wide.

I too wanted a mid sized rear engine bus, but now I'm wondering how that would have worked out. That's the problem. There's always a unicorn.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #24
Skoolie
 
debbiejay4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I've been unable to get any recent picks loaded with my new android device, but you can get a fair idea from pics in my build if you click on the link beneath my name.

I don't know where you will do most of your driving of your bus, but maneuverability is key for running around on logging roads here in the OR coastal mountains. My axles are 11 feet apart, which is shorter than many crew cab trucks, allowing remarkable turning ability for this size of a vehicle. Granted she's got a big butt that swings a bit wide.

I too wanted a mid sized rear engine bus, but now I'm wondering how that would have worked out. That's the problem. There's always a unicorn.
I saw your bus, Robin, and I love it!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
debbiejay4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:06 PM   #25
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Thanks. It's not exactly a work of art. I was planning a motorhome build but couldn't get it insured as such. Got licensed as a van so I figure I can do anything a conversion van can. As I said, I did insulate which made me able to heat with a small 110v ceramic heater. I used furniture out of the house at first but I've replaced most of that with something better as it comes along. I call this my fishing shack, but I haven't caught a fish since I've had it.

I used to forget to take important things with me when I traveled somewhere, but not anymore.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:08 PM   #26
Skoolie
 
debbiejay4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Thanks. It's not exactly a work of art. I was planning a motorhome build but couldn't get it insured as such. Got licensed as a van so I figure I can do anything a conversion van can. As I said, I did insulate which made me able to heat with a small 110v ceramic heater. I used furniture out of the house at first but I've replaced most of that with something better as it comes along. I call this my fishing shack, but I haven't caught a fish since I've had it.

I used to forget to take important things with me when I traveled somewhere, but not anymore.
What is the length? I read it, but now I can't find it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
debbiejay4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:18 PM   #27
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It's 26 foot, bumper to bumper. The 11 foot wheelbase means this thing can turn sharp, which has been important while maneuvering in parking lots.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:00 AM   #28
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,264
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiejay4444 View Post
Brad, it would be my fear to remove something that shouldn't!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It helps that I have a pretty good understanding of diesel powered vehicles, wiring and electronics in general, and I went to the trouble to trace down *BOTH* ends of every wire, prior to removing it. Only those that I was *ABSOLUTELY* sure weren't essential to anything were removed (the removed recording box and cameras, the removed stop sign, the removed 2-way radio and antenna, etc.) The front stop arm was air powered so I didn't have to worry about wires there ...

The air lines are conveniently in the control panel, the supply feeds a pair of solenoids which open when the 8-way lights are on (wires were cut by the school district prior to my picking up the bus). Since the 8-way lights won't be retained, I can re-purpose the air line for an air horn. I kept the hose, so I have everything I need for installation.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:26 AM   #29
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,782
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If you want a SHORT bus then look for something that's not RE.
Superdave's RE was a Thomas that was around 35ish feet. Still a huge bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:44 AM   #30
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 19,128
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I know no one likes counting 'windows' but ive seen 8 'window' thomas RE busses before. I like to think they are 30 feet? (the expensive dealer in florida had some). ive seen a shorter Amtran / IC RE... that pricey dealer has a couple shorter FE's now at 27 feet. I have no idea how they drive.. with a longer heavier RE bus you have more weight in front of the drivetrain.. not sure if. that makes a huge difference or not.

the most use of Interior space for exterior length seems to be in a flat-nose Front engine bus..

just have to hit every auction site you can find and look for those busses.

all short busses present some challenges for storage underneath.. as mechanical components like fuel tanks, air tanks, air dryer, batteries, all take up some space.. you gain some flexibility in an RE since there is no driveline front of the rear wheels.. theoretically you could move your air-tank and dryer to the center and mount underbelly storage toward the edges of the bus.. allowing for more open-space on the interior..

I personally went conventional just because most of my "conversion" is mechanical / electrical / electronic. so I like the idea that the whole front clip flips forward (or comes off with a few pins released).. I can climb right on top to work on stuff..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 66
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Chevy Midbus
Engine: GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel
Theyre not school buses, but here's a link to few 30' RE Gillig transit buses up for auction in SLC on 12/11. Rust doesn't look too bad, didn't see mileage listed but i bet it's high.

https://www.rbauction.com/salt-lake-...%25c%25%202017

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
jordan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #32
Skoolie
 
debbiejay4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
It helps that I have a pretty good understanding of diesel powered vehicles, wiring and electronics in general, and I went to the trouble to trace down *BOTH* ends of every wire, prior to removing it. Only those that I was *ABSOLUTELY* sure weren't essential to anything were removed (the removed recording box and cameras, the removed stop sign, the removed 2-way radio and antenna, etc.) The front stop arm was air powered so I didn't have to worry about wires there ...

The air lines are conveniently in the control panel, the supply feeds a pair of solenoids which open when the 8-way lights are on (wires were cut by the school district prior to my picking up the bus). Since the 8-way lights won't be retained, I can re-purpose the air line for an air horn. I kept the hose, so I have everything I need for installation.
You are awesome. I know nothing about electricity other than the off and on switch...same with plumbing!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
debbiejay4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #33
Skoolie
 
debbiejay4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I know no one likes counting 'windows' but ive seen 8 'window' thomas RE busses before. I like to think they are 30 feet? (the expensive dealer in florida had some). ive seen a shorter Amtran / IC RE... that pricey dealer has a couple shorter FE's now at 27 feet. I have no idea how they drive.. with a longer heavier RE bus you have more weight in front of the drivetrain.. not sure if. that makes a huge difference or not.

the most use of Interior space for exterior length seems to be in a flat-nose Front engine bus..

just have to hit every auction site you can find and look for those busses.

all short busses present some challenges for storage underneath.. as mechanical components like fuel tanks, air tanks, air dryer, batteries, all take up some space.. you gain some flexibility in an RE since there is no driveline front of the rear wheels.. theoretically you could move your air-tank and dryer to the center and mount underbelly storage toward the edges of the bus.. allowing for more open-space on the interior..

I personally went conventional just because most of my "conversion" is mechanical / electrical / electronic. so I like the idea that the whole front clip flips forward (or comes off with a few pins released).. I can climb right on top to work on stuff..

-Christopher
Thank you, Christopher. A lot to take in, isn't it? A "city" bus would have a lot of room! ;) I appreciate your information. Some things to definitely to think about.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
debbiejay4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #34
Skoolie
 
debbiejay4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If you want a SHORT bus then look for something that's not RE.
Superdave's RE was a Thomas that was around 35ish feet. Still a huge bus.
Thank you EastCoastCB. I who'll be solo traveling, so a huge bus would be a little much for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
debbiejay4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #35
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,782
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I like mine in the 5-8 window size. Smaller buses make for easier parking and for me that's a huge priority.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #36
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 19,128
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiejay4444 View Post
Thank you, Christopher. A lot to take in, isn't it? A "city" bus would have a lot of room! ;) I appreciate your information. Some things to definitely to think about.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
city busses often have taller ceilings and may be a little wider.. the Low-floor nature of many city busses though makes for less under-floor storage capabilities..

there are a few on here that are converting City-transit busses, most are 35-40 feet long.. I know they make shorter ones, as my city is running them on some routes, but I havent seen the shorter ones up for auction..

some cities run their busses into the ground and only sell them when they are scrap-heaps..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:22 AM   #37
Skoolie
 
debbiejay4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
city busses often have taller ceilings and may be a little wider.. the Low-floor nature of many city busses though makes for less under-floor storage capabilities..

there are a few on here that are converting City-transit busses, most are 35-40 feet long.. I know they make shorter ones, as my city is running them on some routes, but I havent seen the shorter ones up for auction..

some cities run their busses into the ground and only sell them when they are scrap-heaps..
-Christopher
I was going to get a shuttle bus because of the easy drive. Then appeared the flat nose bus, which I love. I want to be able to drive to state parks, boondock, etc. I won't be rough riding ;) I primarily want the under storage capabilities for water and batteries...I know I could hide them other ways inside. I just want a clean, simple, clutter free look on the inside.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
debbiejay4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #38
Skoolie
 
debbiejay4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I like mine in the 5-8 window size. Smaller buses make for easier parking and for me that's a huge priority.
Do you have a photo of yours?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
debbiejay4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:29 AM   #39
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 19,128
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
a shuttle or "cutaway" style bus will give you the most "car-lik" drive.. by cutaway. meaning the front of it looks like they chopped a van in half and put a bus on it.. there are school busses made this way as well.

of course ive never spent a long ride in a shuttle mainly because.. well they are often used on short routes from an airport to a hotel, etc.. , however thiese style busses are often used by churches, nursing homes and the like as field-trip busses and drive them a few hours at a time.. to me most shuttle busses seem to have a decent ride to them, some hwre are converting shuttles, they have their own challenges being fiberglass. . the school-bus version of cutaways gives you a fairly easy drive.. (higher chance of finding engine-driven A/C if that matters), and the fact you buy most engine / trans parts for it at autozone as its a Van..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #40
Skoolie
 
debbiejay4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
a shuttle or "cutaway" style bus will give you the most "car-lik" drive.. by cutaway. meaning the front of it looks like they chopped a van in half and put a bus on it.. there are school busses made this way as well.

of course ive never spent a long ride in a shuttle mainly because.. well they are often used on short routes from an airport to a hotel, etc.. , however thiese style busses are often used by churches, nursing homes and the like as field-trip busses and drive them a few hours at a time.. to me most shuttle busses seem to have a decent ride to them, some hwre are converting shuttles, they have their own challenges being fiberglass. . the school-bus version of cutaways gives you a fairly easy drive.. (higher chance of finding engine-driven A/C if that matters), and the fact you buy most engine / trans parts for it at autozone as its a Van..
-Christopher
Fiberglass? I did not realize shuttles are fiberglass. I'm going to look at the cut-away buses now. Thank you. I am learning so much from All of you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
debbiejay4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.