Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #1

Ground Clearance

Hello! My fiance and I are preparing to purchase our first bus. We like the idea of a rear engine flat nose because of the living space, under storage and there is no drive shaft to work around.

The only thing that concerns us is the low ground clearance these buses typically get. I have considered putting oversized tires on it. Are there any other suggestions or tips I can use to help settle this decision??

Also, if we discover the rear engine flat nose is not for us, we will more than likely go with a 30-foot dog nose.

JohnHorneRobicheaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Where do you plan on going that ground clearance concern you?

A long wheel base and even longer nose to rear with belly storage can present problems, but one doesn't typically plan to take such a bus places that might present that problem.

That big of a bus usually has about the biggest tires on it already. Even if you can find something bigger, it will slow down your highway speed, and really only get you an inch or two taller.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:01 PM   #3

We do plan on boondocking and we really want to get on as many roads, backroads and trails as we can. If the rear engine isn't the best option then so be it, I guess we will be looking at some dog noses. Thanks for your reply
JohnHorneRobicheaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
You will definitely be able to get more places in a dog nose bus. My 40' RE has a 23' wheel base, that equates to almost 10' of overhang in front and behind both axles. That severely limits approach and departure angle, and at 23' between axles with only about 10" of clearance under the belly storage, creates a great opportunity for high center resulting in severe damage to the storage.

One option you do have it to tow a capable off highway rig like a jeep or other SUV and park the bus somewhere level and hit the trails in the SUV.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorneRobicheaux View Post
We do plan on boondocking and we really want to get on as many roads, backroads and trails as we can. If the rear engine isn't the best option then so be it, I guess we will be looking at some dog noses. Thanks for your reply
What level of trail driving do you have now, and with what type of vehicle?

I'd suggest renting a 26' Penske, or U-haul for a couple days (get the insurance!) and load up for a long camping trip and see how much you like driving a truck off-road...

For every inch you increase tire diameter you'll increase ground clearance by slightly less than ½"...

There's a reason ALL of the "expedition vehicle builders" start with a box truck chassis...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ground clearance, over size tires, pusher, rear engine