Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3
Gun safe in a bus

I am curious what anyone has build or modified to accommodate locking up firearms specifically rifles that is stand up looking for a small foot print but a safe place for my guns when were out and about. I have 4 littles ones to keep safe (under 6) just want to be careful. I like the idea of building it into a lockable storage cabinet, just thought before I built one myself I would ask around.
I am open to all ideas, so please share if you have an idea!

Old 02-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Re: Gun safe in a bus

Instead of locking up the rifle it might be easier to keep the ammo locked up instead. Most of those inexpensive plastic "clamshell" gun cases have the provision for a lock but any motivated youngster could easily get a rifle out of one of those, and back in, and you'd never know. Don't ask me why I know that

Maybe get a steel ammo box from the local army/navy store and put a good hasp and padlock on it. That would keep the little suckers out. Maybe even bolt it to the floor so no one else can get it out, either. Good place for valuables while you're away from the bus too.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Skoolie

Thanks I hadn't thought about just isolating the ammo like the Feds... LOL
Old 02-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

Put up a false wall.

Reminds me of my custom home stereo installation days. Had a doctor buy a system for his office. He spec'd in an additional pair of speakers, but no location. Come time for the installation, he points us to his private restroom, pulls a magnet out of his pocket, holds it against a spot on the tiled wall, and pulls it open by the towel bar. Secret room! His office also had an exit, so if someone saw him go in there, they would think he left rather than...
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Build a hollow spot in a partition wall (or end of tall closet). Build a hollow cubby under the bed in the decking. Use one of those magnetic locks on either to keep the hidden area locked shut. There are several companies that sell them. I believe you can find them also at Lowes/Home Depot. I have a rifle and a hand gun that belonged to my Dad. When I was 5 yo, my Dad taught me how to shoot using the rifle. I have given quite a bit of thought as to how to keep them safe from thieves. I figure a hidden cubby for the guns and put the knob in a fireproof safe bolted to the re-enforced floor of a closet. The fireproof safe will hold our important papers.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...agnetic%20lock

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
Skoolie

Great idea! I like the idea of a false wall in the bus. I'll have to think through some design idea's. Maybe I'll build the space large enough to fit guns in cases to protect them plus keep things even one step safer. Great idea's! Thank you!