Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3
Re: guttering on a housetruck

I have been thinking on this topic as well, I have been considering welding up a bunch of "L" channel steel and welding in boxes at the end of the line in the rear with a downspout on each side of the bus. the biggest catch I can see is the leveling of the bus so the water runs in the correct direction. Simple wedges to drive up have worked so far. Box truck is tricky is there a drip edge? with my Carpenter body it has a decent drip edge and I could definitely fasten an "L" to it easily. Is 110 gal of fresh water excessive? I filter all our drinking water when were on the road, so barrels seem to just be a good idea of grey water needs...

Old 10-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: pusher
Engine: 8.2L detroit
Rated Cap: 66

i drew up some plans using 2" pvc with the top cut off down the length of the bus (im not sure about your app. tho). you could glue tees or 90 where ever you need them and then use a skill saw to cut the top off. then i was thinking of making brackets that conform to the bottom of the gutter that will allow me to screw it to the bus. at the back of the bus i would install 90s with threaded caps for use when driving and barrels under them for rain collection when im parked. the solar powered bilge pump from the rain barrels to the sand rock filter is a little more detailed but i think you get the idea. hope this helps, good luck and let me know if you want more details.
vega12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Skoolie

How were you going to mount up your pvc? I thought of the same idea but was unsure of a good way to connect it to the side of the bus.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Skoolie

It seems more about getting what you can when it comes to water it might be excessive to increase your L just to get a downpours volume completely. then again I live in the North Wet and we get a consistent drip form the sky from Oct to April.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: pusher
Engine: 8.2L detroit
Rated Cap: 66

as far as attaching the pvc i was just going to cut brackets out of salt treated 2x4s., con-caving the top of the bracket to fit the pvc and then tapering off at the bottom of the bracket ( so i dont need 4" screws, and so it dosent look like 2x4s) then routing the edges and painting them. i would like to hit you up with picts or a sketch but im still trying to figure out how to upload photos. 90s are what i call a factory 90 degree bend.
vega12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Skoolie

Pics would absolutely rock! I am interested in your design I would love to get away from spending money on things I can build.