Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #1

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Freightliner
Chassis: FS-65
Engine: CAT3126
Rated Cap: 66
"Gutters" are leaking

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3573.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	51621 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3576.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	51618

Our bus is leaking in a few spots in the interior.

I've read many threads about sealing leaks in windows & about "gutter" ideas/systems, but want to get some details specific to our bus/problem.

After a heavy rain the other day, we found that the water is coming in on the sides where the exterior roof panels (and the drip edge/gutter? which are all one continuous piece) overlap each other and where the gutters "nest" together. The water is running straight down the sides of the bus in those areas, into the window wells & either between the walls or down the walls.

Also, the "gutter" on the passenger side ends right at the hinge of the side rear door which isn't ideal as the water just pours onto the hinge and down that side of the door.

After reading all of the threads, we have collected many suggestions of different types of sealants to use, but we're wondering if we should use more of a drip edge instead of trying to repair/seal up the existing channel/gutter...like something that causes the water to just run straight off, away from the bus, immediately instead of pooling up in the gutters.

If we would go that route, could we put something over the existing gutter or would we need to remove the gutter first (bearing in mind that it's part of the roof panels/not attached separately)?

We're open to any ideas! Thanks, in advance!
Photos and/or links to products are super as well!

cgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
KoolSeal, TropiCool or perhaps FlexSeal, applied lavishly to the outer roof skin.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:30 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
I've considered a drip edge using an auto vent/shade/bug deflector over my side e-door. They seem to stick to cars well (with 3M tape?). Possibly a sunroof size deflector. Mine is not a fully baked idea though. There's also a product called Trim Gard
https://www.brandsport.com/trmg-wrt02-01.html
Maybe we'll both read of a better way here.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:57 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
I've considered a drip edge using an auto vent/shade/bug deflector over my side e-door. They seem to stick to cars well (with 3M tape?). Possibly a sunroof size deflector. Mine is not a fully baked idea though. There's also a product called Trim Gard
https://www.brandsport.com/trmg-wrt02-01.html
Maybe we'll both read of a better way here.
That looks like a great alternative over the doors. My wheelchair door has a little drip edge but water gets by that easily. I've seen little gutter extensions advertised for RVs that channel water out of the end of the gutter and away from the side of the vehicle: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42452-B...s%2C263&sr=8-4
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:49 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Gee, I was always envious of the Thomas bus and their lack of eyebrows over the window. My BB doesn't leak there. Maybe riveting the roof to the window stanchions makes sense.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote