Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2022, 09:56 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Cummins 5.9 ISB 24v
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
hearing of fox hunts makes me wish I hadnt let my License expire.. I remember some fun times on 2 meter fox hunts.. .. I lost interest in the hobby so never renewed my call sign.. I should go get it again. the bus would be a fun place to set up from
I almost got my license but just couldn't wrap my head around Morse code part and then life happened.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:02 AM   #22
Skoolie

Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Cummins 5.9 ISB 24v
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I should go get it again. the bus would be a fun place to set up from
Skoolie fox hunt would be a fun gathering method. I suppose the hunt range would be North America? BBQ /party / hangout at the fox location.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:19 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuric Mind View Post
I almost got my license but just couldn't wrap my head around Morse code part and then life happened.
No morse requirement at all now days. Just a 35 question test from a question pool and you have access to the question pool, every correct answer, AND every wrong answer.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:00 PM   #24
Skoolie

Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: Cat 3126b 210 HP 605 ftlbs
Has anyone used the space above the driver side window for a vhf/uhf fold over antenna? I am looking to be able to easily fold over the antenna when needed while driving on back roads. If i put it on the roof it will add around 3 ft to the top of the bus which I do not want while driving back roads. I am worried about shadowing as there will be 8-12 inches of curved roof right next to the antenna if I use a 90° NMO mount
ism minerals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:21 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by ism minerals View Post
Has anyone used the space above the driver side window for a vhf/uhf fold over antenna? I am looking to be able to easily fold over the antenna when needed while driving on back roads. If i put it on the roof it will add around 3 ft to the top of the bus which I do not want while driving back roads. I am worried about shadowing as there will be 8-12 inches of curved roof right next to the antenna if I use a 90° NMO mount

I would just go with an NMO mount 1/4 wave dual band. 2m/70cm 1/4 wave is only 18" or 19".
I have used an existing NMO mount in the location you describe for a small 2/70 radio and it seemed to work but I only had it in the driveway to tie in to local repeaters and 2m calling so I couldn't address any directional issues.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:32 PM   #26
Skoolie

Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: Cat 3126b 210 HP 605 ftlbs
Ham,

Thank you the feedback, I think I will try it there, I want to stick with the same antenna I have on my truck a diamond NMO 2m/1.25m/70cm combo so 32'' or so. Seems to work great and I can play on 220mhz if i feel the need . When I am parked I can move it up to the future roof deck.
ism minerals is offline   Reply With Quote