Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3
Re: Hanging curtains

Ahh, well I am unsure what your looking at there. I have been considering wood stove. I remember a discussion on this forum about that I bet you have been involved in that one too. Good luck! Tell me do those special curtains make any difference?

Old 10-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Dont know yet, cant hang them...lol. I will let you know.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummings
Rated Cap: 65

I used suction cups with hooks. I picked a box of three up for $2.99 - each is supposed to hold 3 lbs. I found them in a craft store called 'Michaels' but I'm sure you can order them online too. I think they were intended to hang xmas reefs and such. Wet the back of them and they will stick to wherever. They won't scratch your inside paint and you can take them off when your are done. We sewed little loop holes on the back of our curtains to hang on the hooks. When I go down the road, I don't have to contend with storing rods, when I take the curtains down. Pluck the suction cups off or leave them - roll the curtains up and be gone.

They worked well for me. Something to think about at least.

Scratchy
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:58 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: GMC P3500
Engine: 6.2L

I have pieces of cloth and magnets right now, but I am going to be doing something I saw on another guys bus...

He used those clamps used to hold conduit to a wall, screwed them into the side of the wall and then used conduit as the curtain rod. It was the best idea I've ever seen, so I'll be doing it that way... I'll post pictures when I finally get around to doing it.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

We went with the conduit thing for the bunk and bunk room and bedroom curtains. For the windows we "screwed" them to the wall. When we want them open, we roll them up. That way you get to have all your window glass area open.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Anyone source out the ones that hang from a track like the ones they use in the front of RVs???
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #27
zim
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 82
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummins 5.9l

I use nice cloth shower curtains to enclose the bunks. To hang them, I put an eye screw in each of the end walls, then pulled some heavy stranded wire between the two of them and tighten with a turnbuckle after threading the curtains onto the wire. Ping me if you want pics and I'll take some from the old bus.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:30 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpsalmer
Ahh, well I am unsure what your looking at there. I have been considering wood stove. I remember a discussion on this forum about that I bet you have been involved in that one too. Good luck! Tell me do those special curtains make any difference?
yeah I'm working on the wood burning stove idea too! I think I can make something very small that will work, run the pipes out a window area, and have just a small enough wood stove to heat up this small bus when it gets freezing out, or when I can't plug a drop cord in somewhere. I've only been living in my bus for about 6ms now, and it's just starting to get too cold not to have some kind of heat, for now I have a plug, but not sure how long that will last since I'm boondocking at a ministorage place I rent to store the rest of my crap, lol.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

I finally figured out how I'm going to hang curtains!!! Velcro!!! They have some high strength grip velcro now, it should be pretty easy to use it (sticky back) to hang curtains... I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblank
I finally figured out how I'm going to hang curtains!!! Velcro!!! They have some high strength grip velcro now, it should be pretty easy to use it (sticky back) to hang curtains... I'll let you know how it goes!
So yeah Velcro works awesomely!!! The curtians haven't moved or fell down since I put them up that way.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:38 PM   #31

Year: 1996
Engine: 444 7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblank View Post
Velcro was my plan as well as adding magnets due to weight of insulated panels. I have some thin reflectix that I am sandwiching between 2 layers of material to make adjustable blackout panels. Will be mounting my velcro in a complete strip above the window frames on both sides. Since I can't get a few windows to work I may not need as much.
G Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:07 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Sticky back velcro doesn't work too good. The velcro itself is far stronger than the sticky and pulls it off the surface. It is OK as long as you don't plan repeated attachments and removals. I'll add that the sticky is weakened by heat--like sun shine. I've found pop riveting the sticky back velcro helps but it looks sort of wonky.
Jack

I used sticky back velcro to secure part of the cover over the genny and frig on the tent trailer I tow behind my toad (when it isn't a toad) The warmth of the sunlight was enough to loosen the glue.

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote