Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2022, 07:14 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
Hanging things off of the frame...

Whether I weld, bolt or strap things to the frame...

Should I avoid putting weight on the transverse horizontal members which directly support the OEM floor?

I presume the middle third of the depth of the main longitudinal frame member may be drilled into, threaded, and bolted to?

If not threaded per that, then drilled through and through bolted to, as with varied lengths of all thread? (which should be stainless steel; all holes to be gasketed/sealed to prevent moisture intrusion? )

As long I am am adding weight below the floor on average compared to above the floor, and not going ever the "with full tanks" gross vehicle weight, I am improving the center of gravity?

Something I intend to hang off of the frame are epoxy coated and glass/kevlar reinforced DIY tanks for fresh/grey/black water. I should count on metal lining the exterior of those to prevent thrown gravel/rock damage? I already plan on insulating them with foam/adding heat strips to preclude freezing.

Bus is a 37' Saf-T-Liner Thomas, if it makes difference.

TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:40 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
We will be using the underside of the floor to support things. We will drill through the portion bent to be parallel with the ground and use custom cut pieces of sheet steel to spread out the load. We will also be attaching to the frame rails using bolts as well as clamps like those in the link below.
At the outside edge, the load will be distributed with angle iron bolted, welded, and/or riveted to the bottom edge of the outer skin.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082BVB2VX...v_ov_lig_dp_it
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:40 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
I have already hung items from the cross-members of both Crowns no problems so far. One needs to consider how much something weighs before hanging them from cross members. When you consider placement of things like tanks, use the "full" weight in your calculations. Also consider the weight when going over bumps potholes, etc. A 2 g shock is certainly possible on rough terrain, even more. A 40 gallon water tank that is full weighs about 330 lbs, plus the tank's empty weight. At 2 Gs that tank weighs 660 lbs plus twice the tanks empty weight. The extra weight is only momentary, but if your mounts can barely hold the load when static, then it may not under road shocks.

Crown welded various mounts to the frame rails, such as the spare tire mount. Be careful if you do that. Pay the bucks and have a welding shop or professional welder do it for you. Overbuilt is always better.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:41 AM   #4

You don't want to drill ary extra holes in the flanges (horizontal portion) of the frame.

That is where the frame gets it's strength.

Drill in the web (vertical portion) , staying a hole diameter away from the bend and other
holes.
Eg.1/2" for a 1/2 "hole, 3/8" for a 3/8" hole etc.

I wouldn't trust those clamps.

YMMV.

Will
Sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote