Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2022, 11:53 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Harvesting a Tesla powerwall knockoff for my electrical

So I was given this by a friend who didn't know what it was – it seems to be like a Tesla Powerwall knockoff that was never used. I'm wondering if its feasible / safe to harvest the lithium batteries off of it. If its 5120Wh at 25.6V, that would be 200Ah capacity? Would that mean I'd have to do a 24V system then, or could I disconnect the cells to get a 12V @ 400Ah (if I'm understanding that correctly)?

While I'm only considering it for the batteries, it does also seem to have an inverter / solar charger built in, so maybe feasible to utilize the whole unit? Is that insane?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4267 Small.jpeg   IMG_4269 Large.jpeg   IMG_4268 Large.jpeg  

r0meboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 01:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
There is very little info about the device online. It could be usable, depending on system functionality and battery health. I see the system has a 220v output, so whether you can use it as-is depends if it gives you a center-tap neutral like a standard 110/220v house system.

If it doesn't have a neutral, you'll seemingly be limited to 220v appliances. Not the end of the world, but it'll take a little more work with an additional step-down transformer to make functional. Or you could ditch the inverter/charger/charge control system and harvest the batteries for a custom system. But I think the inverter/charger/charge control feature is kind of neat. I wonder if this is a grid tie unit being as its for house use?

Oddly enough, the only thing I found online about this is a sales post in brazil of someone selling an identical unit. Googling the power specs of brazil reveals it's 127 or 220vac. 220vac seems like what this is likely designed for, which is what most of the rest of the world runs, so it's likely not good for 110/220 systems like what we have here in the states. Like I said though, it's not the end of the world, as they make transformers to step it down, and it's supposedly 50/60hz capable.

Regardless, unless the unit is dead and the batteries are trash, it's a pretty nice score as is. I'd thank your friend for sure.