Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2021, 01:05 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hat Channel vs Square Tubing

Howdy,

I've been doing research, reading, searching, watching videos. I've found opinions but nothing definitive about the benefit of hat channel over square tubing in a roof raise.

What are the pros and cons of each? Is one stronger? Is one easier to attach the sheet metal to? It seems like it would be easier to source tubing, and weld it inside the hat channel on each end. So unless there's some benefit to hat channel that I'm not finding, I think I'll go with tubing.

Thank you for any input!

wanderingturtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Hat channel has about the same bending resistance as square tubing, given the same thickness and amount of material. Hat channel is cheaper to form since it does not have a seam that needs to be welded/fused like square tubing. Square tubing has a much stronger innate resistance to twisting forces, but this isn't really relevant for material used in a composite structure like a bus body. Another advantage of hat channel is that it has two flanges facing the outside of the body, allowing the outer roof panels to be attached to each alternate rib with a double row of rivets.

For a roof raise, square tubing is much easier to source and perfectly adequate.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:46 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
MG makes good points...and I agree with his comments. We use 1/8-inch wall square tube. We extend that tube into both the upper and lower hat channels and weld those into place. But we also bend 1/8th inch 3-inch wide steel bars into "angles" and weld them on the sides. I put angles in quotes, because we bend them with a radiused bend instead of a sharp angle to match the profile of the hat channel. We do the combination, which is admittedly overkill, to give us the benefits of both options...including the flange surfaces for adhesive and rivets.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote