Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2022, 07:05 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post

Bottom line, yes it can be done, even in a van, but the vast majority are far closer to homeless with a vehicle of varying sizes than they are to the "snow bird" population of retiree's or the remote work professionals out there with reliable incomes.
Yes.
The facebook groups where a live-aboard family of 5 with 3 dogs that have had mechanical failure and 'need help' because they have no money is baffling.

Buying/building/insuring/operating/maintaining costs of a bus have to be far higher than just renting a place to live, both in cash and time.

The 'rent avoidance' fallacy lures people into the skoolie trap and they're worse off for it.

La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 03:49 AM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Cummins 5.9 ISB 24v
I think some of the draw to skoolie life on youtube is to be an influencer / content creator and make mad money. It is a completely alien economy to me but I know it exists. Most of the folks on there are there for only a short time, they can't make it or get discouraged.

I saw one video of a young couple, In their best influencer charm, girl with tight leggings and bare midriff guy with a hair bun and some tats, converting a mini bus and they did a roof raise. they glued the 26ga sheet steel on the sides and used tin roof shingles on the front transition. At the end of the video they said they are available for hire to do your roof raise. I can't find the video any more, Thought I would ask for a quote. I guess a few people make it work. I don't think this couple did.

The problem is to be successful at anything you basically need the same skills that it takes to be successful at any startup business . Planning, determination, technical talent, appropriate capitalization, Oh ya and everything else I left out of a proper business plan.

It is all about presenting an idealized fallacy of life. YouTurd loves it! they get paid on every click, and view second.

I really need to get back to working on my bus and not pondering the ridiculousness of others.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:56 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Yes, the title is "this college freshman left the rat race and built her ultimate skoolie for just $8,000"
Then we get a "tour" the bus.
On the outside we're told "I wanted to keep all the windows but I wanted some privacy so I used spray paint on the inside of the windows to blank them out".
And...
"I wanted a ladder to the roof so I bolted on this RV ladder"..... to the side of the vehicle, just waiting to be ripped off in an impact with something because it sticks out 8" off the side and is held on with 12 sheet metal screws.
And...
"To fill the water I just open this little door for the hose and fill the tanks under the bed".
And...
"I don't have a black tank because I wanted an eco friendly composting toilet. Every week or two I just dig a hole and bury the compost".... totally ignoring the fact that it is not compost when it first comes out, that it's likely illegal to bury it where she buries it, yadda yadda.
And....
Then we get the inside look where everything we see that's quality work was "my father", "my brother", "my uncle", or some other family member with actually wood or electric or other skills who did the work.

No mention of where the 18 or 19 year old got the $8,000 while going to school or how the college dropout "nomad" plans to pay for fuel, food, maintenance, etc. Perhaps parking in a WalMart and finding the nearest traffic light with her cardboard sign?

And let's not even talk about so called "VanLife" presentations on the Tubes. I've seen some awesome RVing vans but the vast majority today, who claim to be "independent and off grid".... Not really. MOST either don't take showers (YUCK) or they are reliant on such methods as a "planet fitness" membership and using the facilities..... hardly independent or off grid.

Bottom line, yes it can be done, even in a van, but the vast majority are far closer to homeless with a vehicle of varying sizes than they are to the "snow bird" population of retiree's or the remote work professionals out there with reliable incomes.

this is definitely a BINGO!
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:08 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Chassis: International
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
There is affording to live in your skoolie, and then there is affording to drive your skoolie. Before I bought, I came to terms with the fact that I can afford to live in my bus (with my income level), and I can not afford to drive my bus (with my income level).

My total build cost is approaching and will surpass $20,000. I am including costs including the tools I wouldn’t have bought otherwise, car costs for store runs that others fail to count or underestimate.

If you build smart and slow and don’t have a storage bill, you can make steady progress putting in $500 every month, starting with no tools, without borrowing any tools and without having any help. After you complete your build, you can choose to sell the tools you bought or keep them as a real asset.

I thought in terms of ‘rent avoidance’ too, I’ve since learned housing costs are a fact of life, and I can control the amount of hours of my life I work for housing beyond the minimum, including the cost of upkeep of a power train under my home. After I’ve built everything and without driving a foot, I can see myself spending 8 hours plus $200 a month up keeping all the systems, whatever isn’t spent is put away. My pickling plan includes regular applications of 303 aerospace to preserve the tires, Sweet Project Cars rust killer recipe, as well as all the recommended steps to storing a vehicle.
Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:04 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Great post InnerLove.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 03:21 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Our build is going to be 35-40,000 plus 5,300 for the bus.
But we will have a small home that is electrically independent, capable of 30 days off grid before resupply and tank draining.
We plan to live and move but other than an Alaska trip we plan to move around every 1-4 weeks depending on how many things there are to see and do in a given area. For instance, a nice gold mining area will keep us in place longer than a great fishing place since you need a new license in every darn state.
Even at $8.50/gallon my VA pension alone will pay for a tank of fuel a month which is good for over 1,000 miles. On the Alaska trip that won't pay for the fuel but during the rest of our adventures it should be plenty since we plan to do a lot of exploring and already have several hundred places/things we want to see or do.
The plan also includes a "home base" where we will eventually settle down with the bus as the main living quarters and auxiliary structures for other needs..... shop, storage, etc.
That 40k figure.....far less than we'd have paid for a 40' 5th wheel that would rattle apart during the five years we plan to travel full time.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:15 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
School Bus prices are stable...if you know where to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilliannash View Post
Hey there,

I've been considering doing a conversion for a few years and every once in a while I'll look around for a bus to purchase. I've finally decided this year to go for it and have started scouring the internet again for a bus.
Am I crazy or have prices gone up a lot in the past year or so? Is that because of increased demand? I know used cars are unusually pricey right now could this be the same issue? I feel like even a couple years ago it wasn't that hard to find a bus for less than a few thousand, now so many that I'm seeing are like 10k. Also, it's such slim pickings! It feels like there are so few busses out there.
Ruth and I have seen a trend in 3rd party bus prices that is driven by the social media/creator/influencer movement. A lot of folks think that they can become a Youtube mogul just by buying a bus and editing a bunch of videos.

We realize there is a market for skoolie and van life content, just as there is a market for Rock bands, and movie stars. The scamdemic (I don't call it such because I don't believe in illness, but that is for another discussion), has created a situation where an artificially elevated surge in skoolies is a result. It is like a goldrush. Many will rush, few will prosper.

We met a huge number of people at the 2022 Skoolie Palooza who had just bought a bus, van, or box truck. We were flabbergasted at what they had paid. Because they bought from Facebook, Craigslist, AAA bus sales, or some other third party.

The best way to purchase a bus for a good price is to buy direct from an organization such as a school or church, or one of the vetted public auctions like http://publicsurplus.com

Our experience: Pre pandemic purchase of an 1998 International Rear Engine , American Transit bus with less than 150,000 miles on it, from the Gilbert School system in Phoenix, Arizona was, at the time significantly cheaper at $1880.00 than we were seeing from all other third party markets.

Fast forward to this past July. Our most recent bus, same model, a couple of years younger, about the same miles, we purchased from the same District, through Public Surplus Auction, for $1450.00

If we had purchased from a bus sales place in Phoenix, the seller probably would have acquired the bus from the same school district for much less than the ten to twelve thousand that they are asking for it.

Ruth and I are skoolies from before there was such a term. Our first live in bus was purchased for $400.00 in 1989. We moved in the day we bought it, sleeping on the floor as we did our first build in the Sleepy Hole city park in Portsmouth, Va. The reason I tell you this is to give some background to how long we have been paying attention to bus prices.

We do it for entertainment. At least e few times a month we go look at the auctions and window shop. At this level bus prices are stable.

Getting a good deal requires, patience and legwork. You need to set a goal, search out auctions in "Rust Free Zones", contact sellers, vist\it seller sites and inspect items if possible. Set your bid ceiling and don't exceed it. If you get out bid at your ceiling, wait for the next auction.

Don't let auction fever push you out of your budget.

The Current third party market is driven by the nomad/Youtube/vanlife social media goldrush. It is artificially inflated and will eventually collapse when reality sets in. As in the gold rush of the 1800s, many will rush, few will prosper.

There are different motivations to become a skoolie:

Some do it because they find that a commercial bus is a better platform in terms of ruggedness for a DIY RV. Heck, Blue Bird started doing it on a commercial basis the year after I was born. My opinion is the WanderLodge is the best built RV ever.

Some do it because they like the idea of building their own RV or tiny home and find that a bus is a good place to start.

Some do it out of desperation to find shelter they can afford. That's how we got started back in the 80s. We eventually just decided That we love small living and even more mobile living and it became a way of life.

Some, and this is why the third party market is so inflated, are driven by a surge in a new income stream, social media advertising, that seems like an All You Gotta Do get rich quick scheme. We call it the skoolie rush. I have represented it in an overly simplistic manner. But the crux is that a flood of social media hype in a nomad movement, that has been exacerbated by a couple of years of various quarantine requirements, has inflated the popularity of an idea that has been around since the sixties and Dead Heads.

With that being said, Once you buy your bus, as others have mentioned the cost of building materials is also very inflated. Perhaps it will come down. Perhaps eighty dollars a sheet for 3/4" plywood is the new normal. I hope not. We are not yet done with our current build and already started on another.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:24 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
The current third party market is driven by the nomad/Youtube/vanlife social media goldrush. It is artificially inflated and will eventually collapse when reality sets in. As in the gold rush of the 1800s, many will rush, few will prospe
Well said and all too true
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 02:16 PM   #29

I had a great experience buying my bus from BGA in Hudson, FL. It's family owned and they drive all the buses to their location so they can tell you any issues. Their website is well maintained. Don't give up! Paying a little more for lower mileage, in good condition will be worth it in the long run!
judykerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 04:21 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by judykerfoot View Post
I had a great experience buying my bus from BGA in Hudson, FL. It's family owned and they drive all the buses to their location so they can tell you any issues. Their website is well maintained. Don't give up! Paying a little more for lower mileage, in good condition will be worth it in the long run!

they are very high priced and sometimes they have serious rust issues.. they do generally make all their busses run good. one of mine came from there and their paint job was really good quality..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:26 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
a lot of that comes courtesy of TV and internet.. Youtube videos and TV shows that show some housewife with supposedly no skills converting a bus and living in it hapily ever after travelling everywhere...

they dont mention she had friends or family members who do have skills and built the bus for her.. nor do those shopws ever talk about oil changes and adjusting air brake slacks and crawling underneath to check gear oil and reach valve stems to pump up tires.. nor the 3k bill when it turns out all the shocks and tie rod ends and King pins are shot...

they show a lot of of beach in the background and pretty pink pillows on nice white couches....

this is something not seen in the car communities.. everyone pretty much knows if you are gonna take a bucket of rust N bolts and turn it into a classic cruiser that it takes real skills and / or real money... somehow the skoolie craze doesnt convey those things very well that there are real skills required to build and maintain one..
Skoolie quote of the decade.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:29 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by judykerfoot View Post
BSA isn't "paying a little more" its paying 2x anyone else's price.
I've personally heard of at least a couple buses failing within a day of taking them from the BSA lot.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, price, pricing, purchase