Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2021, 01:37 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
Headphones with communication capabilities?

Has anyone used headphones like you would use in an an aircraft to cancel interior noise and allow you to listen to music while in transit, and also to communicate with another person in the bus through blue tooth or some other way?

Apple has some swanky new over the ear headphones-- and I wondered if two of those would accomplish this?

Anyone ever tried anything like this?

PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
pilot headphones

Yea, use them for off roading... super noisey when going with tires that sing and wind noise and engine noise.

They make these boxes that you can plug headsets into... most common are for two or four people - I see six point boxes from time to time and you can special order for more than than that called pilot intercoms.

anyways, they are made so that multiple people can hook into same box. and use the two connector pilot head sets.

most of these boxes have an input so that you can use a radio, cd player, what ever external source you want. I am not aware of any that have a bluetooth ability... so all is wired inputs.

the most inexpensive way to find headsets is to go to the air port and check the bulletin boards for stuff for sale, then facebook marketplace, then craigslist, then ebay. There are some pilots websites that have stuff for sale too.

william

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
I just got this headset to listen to bluetooth content from my phone and make calls as needed, I wanted something with just one earphone so I could better hear my surroundings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the idea of getting used aircraft-related equipment for two way communication, I'm sure that will be an issue on the road with my front engine setup.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
David Clark headsets. Used with both intercom systems and 2 way radios in fire trucks, airplanes and other noisy environments. Not needed with rear engine buses.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
I just got this headset to listen to bluetooth content from my phone and make calls as needed, I wanted something with just one earphone so I could better hear my surroundings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the idea of getting used aircraft-related equipment for two way communication, I'm sure that will be an issue on the road with my front engine setup.
Check your motor vehicle laws before you buy. Some states do not allow use of head phones that cover both ears.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:46 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
Check your motor vehicle laws before you buy. Some states do not allow use of head phones that cover both ears.

These only cover one ear, again because I wanted to make sure I had one ear free. It's just one earphone and a mic.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I use a Bose A20 aviation headset when I drive certain buses...especially when I'm transporting a noisy one with the interior stripped out...and on the freeway. With those, I can make calls and nobody even knows I'm in a noisy bus. I find it much less fatiguing than getting blasted with the noise. I wouldn't have bought these just for buses, but I had them from when we sold our plane last year. My wife's Lightspeed headset is damned good, too.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Legal for communication only, illegal for listening to music.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
Well, I guess I am not alone in trying to find a way to make the over the road travel tolerable-- or maybe enjoyable. These are all excellent ideas. I will do some more research about the connection boxes, and the used headsets from aircraft. Thanks so much for these replies!
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:15 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
These only cover one ear, again because I wanted to make sure I had one ear free. It's just one earphone and a mic.
that's smart, that's why I quoted you.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:39 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Ditto on legality.
While states have to recognize our license and registration schemes from other states, all of their traffic laws apply.
MANY states have laws on the books that prohibit headsets, ear buds, etc. in or covering both ears. Those same states generally however have nothing prohibiting ear plugs which is an old tech understanding.
Legal or not however, I would caution people not to use noise cancelling headsets while driving as they will prevent you from recognizing the sounds of danger.
That police or fire siren
The horrid screeching from the back of the bus
The horn blaring as you are about to crush a vehicle in your blind spot

They're great in an aircraft where air traffic control is maintaining separation and talking to you and you can converse with others in the cockpit and understand them when they point out a hazard.
They're not good (and usually illegal) when driving.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:14 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Legality aside...I can hear sirens, alerts/alarms/buzzers even with my aviation headsets. I could hear them in our plane, too. It would have been bad to be flying along and not able to hear some panel warning tone.

I do only use them on the freeway.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:02 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I have these
They're a great cell phone accessory. They take calls and do music great.
If you're driving an RV or bus you're not going to be pulled over because you're wearing headphones unless you're being targeted for something else. In which case, you'll get pulled over because they're targeting you (they'll find some reason).

Trucker Bluetooth Headset Wireless with Noise canceling Microphone, On-Ear Wireless Headphones with Mic,Over The Head Earpiece for iOS & Android Mobile Phone, Skype, Truck Drivers, Call Center,Voip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D79VFYJ...2Y46D13XG6FB79
rgjarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:09 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Sometimes driving is boring and uneventful. When it gets hairy I'll usually take off the headphones.

Your mileage will vary.

But if you want to talk to others in a noisy environment they make headsets for motorcyclists for this very purpose.

Motorcycle Bluetooth Intercom,THOKWOK BT-S3 1000m Helmet Bluetooth Headset, Motorcycle Bluetooth Communication System for Ski/ATV/Dirt Bike/Off Road Up to 3 Riders(Boom Microphone, Pack 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GSL8DLT...PEFT12746PF5ZY
Old 10-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Also search Bluetooth gaming headset. Many different styles and they are usually in the $50 range instead of $700!!

I have 2 from best buy from
JLab

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jlab-pl...?skuId=6396201

It's silly to call someone just to chit chat but we do typically have unlimited minutes these days.

If you I want to use an "intercom" feature you'll have to get the motorcycle style.