Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
Heat inside your bus, white roof vs other lighter colors?

Has anyone noticed a big difference in interior temperature when going to a white roof from another paint color? I'm considering a white roof but would rather another color.

Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Clayton, There are several different threads on this subject, and like anything, there are several opinions on how well it works. These threads are in a variety of different threads, but a search for them should make it easier to find. I've read that white is the best to reflect heat, but I think dark colors attract heat better. (I'm more concerned with the heat)
Personally, I will most likely use one. I'll wait till I get to that point before picking a brand. Being that you are located in 'Far North Texas' (lol) you might want to check out all the info. Let us know what you decide, your experience, how it turns out, and of course pictures.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
I'm in the far North but will often be in the far South, but even up here it can be 100 degrees in the summer. Its kind of an interesting topic as its difficult to test this. I am doing the body work right now. Soon it will be painted, its super exciting.
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
I'm in the far North but will often be in the far South, but even up here it can be 100 degrees in the summer. Its kind of an interesting topic as its difficult to test this. I am doing the body work right now. Soon it will be painted, its super exciting.
On SuperDave's bus he tested the temps and the flat white on the roof was cooler than the other colors on his bus by at least 10 degrees or so.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I used BusKote (Hi-Tech) on the top originally - I painted the front part with the BusKote (it was white) and there was a noticeable difference touching the top of the bus.
Right now the bus roof is green - it's been raining here for a few days - so as soon as there is a dry day in site - I plan to prime / BusKote - then Flexiseal. The company said it works. So I will test the temperature inside and out - before and after.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:16 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
A white roof will noticeably reduce heat transmitted through on any vehicle.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:29 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
Has anyone noticed a big difference in interior temperature when going to a white roof from another paint color? I'm considering a white roof but would rather another color.
Yes.

There's plenty of threads on this exact subject here and on other forums (fora?). Or make a tropical roof, like the Saudi MC5 buses and Series 1 Land Rovers used to have, then sunlight doesn't touch the bus roof at all. Almond surprisingly has almost as good solar reflectivity as plain gloss white: Solar Reflectivity (R) & Solar Reflectance Index (SRI) by Color – Dean Steel Buildings, Inc.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:44 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
But with a white roof you won't be camoflauged when the helicopters come.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:36 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
The helicopters use FLIR anyhow.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yeah, I wouldn't want to have to hide from helicopters. However, there are lots of hiding spots out here. I'll just paint my bus to match the FEMA camp buses.

I'd rather be insulating a Chinook helicopter instead of a bus.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #11
Bus Nut

I painted the bus roof white on Friday - there was a non-rain day here. I primed it, did two coats of Bus Kote -
So far, the temperature difference is great.
Green part of roof - 128 degrees sitting in direct sun.
White part (Bus Kote) 104 degrees.

That alone makes a lot of difference - it was 93 degrees out in the afternoon. It was much more tolerable in side the bus with fans than previously.

I am glad I painted it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6728.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	14336

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6870.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	14337
Old 06-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
104 isnt bad.. I should measure the temperature of my ceiling that is just plain white paint.. on my bluebird it should be similar to yours.. although since I have factory A/C, it seems if it may be more insulated.. but thats a good testament to going white vs colored!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #13
Bus Geek

That is similar to the results SuperDave and I saw when he painted his roof white.
IDK how folks can paint their buses black... Especially here in FL. We're going with very light colors and matte finishes.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
even up north...we have longer days, more hours of strong sunshine in summer than florida does.. im definitelyt going to paint the DEV roof white.. im going to try ECCB's Idea and go to a Flat white with some sort of sealer on itfor protection.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
even up north...we have longer days, more hours of strong sunshine in summer than florida does.. im definitelyt going to paint the DEV roof white.. im going to try ECCB's Idea and go to a Flat white with some sort of sealer on itfor protection.
-Christopher
I PROMISE you won't regret it!

If you'd like, bring it over and let me paint it for you or at least help out. I'd love to pay you back for the fixing of my wipers!
Old 06-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #16
Bus Nut

The BusKote is about $45 a gallon - and worth it - I was able to coat the top twice with one gallon - then will use the flexi-seal to coat the top.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hy-Tech-The...words=bus+kote

Quote:
-Christopher
Old 06-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
You will be if you're in a gypsum mine or chalk quarry or on a salt flat.

John
Old 06-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
-Christopher
He said the flat white was cooler than the other colors. I don't doubt that for one moment, but is it cooler than shiny smooth gloss white? My feeling is that shiny always reflects more sunlight than matte, regardless of color. Another reason to have as smooth a finish as possible is to lessen dirt buildup - I'm always amazed just how dirty my roof gets after even a few weeks here, so I suppose it's an indication of how much airborne dust and dirt there is everywhere. After I painted two coats of Rustoleum gloss white with pixie dust added, it left a very rough suede-like surface finish, so that's why I painted two additional coats of plain gloss white without the magic powder to try and smooth it. It's better, but it's still not as smooth as I would have liked.

As I've mentioned, I think that having a tropical roof over the actual bus roof would make the most difference. My interior ceiling temperature is noticeably cooler (less hot?) under the solar panels than where the roof is not covered by panels.

John
Old 06-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
The BusKote is about $45 a gallon - and worth it - I was able to coat the top twice with one gallon - then will use the flexi-seal to coat the top.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hy-Tech-The...words=bus+kote
It nothing more than elastomeric white paint with placebo beads mixed in.
The same paint at Lowes or HD is the same price or cheaper- for a 5 gallon pail.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
He said the flat white was cooler than the other colors. I don't doubt that for one moment, but is it cooler than shiny smooth gloss white? My feeling is that shiny always reflects more sunlight than matte, regardless of color. Another reason to have as smooth a finish as possible is to lessen dirt buildup - I'm always amazed just how dirty my roof gets after even a few weeks here, so I suppose it's an indication of how much airborne dust and dirt there is everywhere. After I painted two coats of Rustoleum gloss white with pixie dust added, it left a very rough suede-like surface finish, so that's why I painted two additional coats of plain gloss white without the magic powder to try and smooth it. It's better, but it's still not as smooth as I would have liked.

As I've mentioned, I think that having a tropical roof over the actual bus roof would make the most difference. My interior ceiling temperature is noticeably cooler (less hot?) under the solar panels than where the roof is not covered by panels.

John
YES, its MUCH cooler than any glossy color including white. Gloss creates hot spots. THe flat dissipates the light perfectly and evenly. Flat white is smooth, its not going to make anything stick to it any more than any other color or finish.
If thermal efficiency and maximum reflectivity are the goal flat white cannot be beat. Ask a pot grower.