Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Skoolie

Heating while camping this weekend.

The nights were projected to be in the high thirties. Even so my wife and I bought a 1500 watt electric heater. The first time we camped with our bus we used a radiant plaque heater. We were reluctant to use the propane heater but it definitely gave us the warmth we sought. Feeling safer with the electric we started out pleased with our electric heater. Being a light sleeper, I awoke several times to make note of our condition. By 3:30 AM, it was a no brainer that the electric heater was not up to expectations. We fired up our Propane plaque heater and we were back to 70 degree within minutes. The heater I got has thermastat control and we were much more comfortable the rest of the night. I think the propane plaque heater is going to be our heater source without any reluctance. We did have windows cracked open at either end of the bus but I got to get me a carbon monoxide alarm.

Train-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:06 AM   #2
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
Re: Heating while camping this weekend.

I've had this electric v. propane debate too - propane wins!

I've got a Mr. Heater and never get it off the low setting, even when it - rarely - gets into the 30's here. Still keeps it about 30 degrees above the outside temperature, plenty comfy for me to sleep in. I only heat half the bus.

I do wish there was a thermostat on the thing tho' - it was in the upper forties the other night, I turned it on when I went to bed and woke up to 82 degrees

Occasionally I've wondered what the conversion was between watts-BTU's, like how many watts from an electric heater is equal to how many BTU's from an electric heater - anybody around here know right off?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:12 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

1 watt is equal to roughly 3 BTUs (per hour for both I suppose since we're heating).
Old 10-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

How many BTU's would a guy need to heat an average 10 to 12 window bus?
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #5
Bus Nut

My 30K BTU propane heater does an excellent job. I also have a 30K "bullet" kero. heater - both of these will heat the bus up in a matter of 10 minutes or so.

I had a "big buddy" Mr. Heater that claimed 18,000 BTU's and it didn't heat the bus at all.. it was warm in front of the heater, but thats it.

I also have a 1,000? watt plug in electric fan heater and you can't even tell that thing is even on, it's worthless.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

The heater I use most is 4000 btu on low and 9000 on high and I just use the low setting and as mentioned above just heat the back half of the bus, so that's 6 windows worth and it stays about 30 degrees above outside. I didn't add any insulation, just made heavy drapes for the windows. But on the other hand, it doesn't get cold and stay cold here. It's usually back up in the 70's during the day, might be different if you were somewhere where it got cold and stayed cold.

Phillbus just put a big one in his bus, 20k btu's or something like that, and he lives where it gets and stays cold, might want to check that thread. Don't remember how it worked out for him.