Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Year: 1991
Coachwork: GMC -Ward
Engine: 366
Help?!

I love my bus. Flora took us from central Texas all over the west coast, up through California over Tioga Pass and beyond, around Washington, Oregon, and beautiful Montana, all the way back home. But now, she won't start.

Its a 1991 GMC - Ward with a 366. She turns over just fine for a few seconds, then just spins (kind of a highlining type sound). I suspect fuel pump or something in the fuel injection system (but I'm not mechanically inclined so I really don't know). Based on talking with a few knowledgeable folks, I think I should start with the fuel pump (fuel filter was replaced a short while ago, along with the starter, batteries, and the spark plugs all fire and look fairly clean); however I also can't exactly find the fuel pump and I'm worried that it might be in the tank.

Is this a good starting point, or do you guys think there might be some other issue at hand?

bm1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Help?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm1253
...turns over just fine for a few seconds, then just spins (kind of a highlining type sound)...
I'd be having a look at your starter/starter bendix, sounds to me like your starter is not staying engaged or is otherwise slipping after a few rotations (when the starter is getting hot).

When I first got TWE, she would start great when the engine was cold, but after driving a while and stopping for fuel, the starter wouldn't work right until everything cooled down enough. (I know, not quite the same thing, but...starters can do strange things as they start to fail.) My issue was resolved by rebuilding the starter.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #3

Year: 1991
Coachwork: GMC -Ward
Engine: 366
Re: Help?!

Okay, I'll give that a shot.

Also, what's the best floor layout for making the bus livable. Right now she's pretty much a long distance/12 person camping vehicle, equipped with bench seats and lots of shelving. I'm thinking of converting her to a 2 person home on wheels.
bm1253 is offline   Reply With Quote