Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Help & Info Please !!

It's time to take our search to the next level ... We are family of 4 mum/dad & 2 little guys 5&7 all we are all small in statue so no roof raising will be needed . Home is central Canada , overall plan is to use conversion for long weekends , possible 1-2 week vacations in the summer & 4-5 months traveling south , we work hard & live life with luv & positive wys after our youngest son fought bone cancer 3 years ago . Thinking mid size bus as we would like to not be restricted to seeking out hard to get too areas , diesel power with a manual if I can locate one , Cummins would be my preference but would consider a international , I run a ford work truck with a 7.3 in it & 500k Kms later it is still very strong. Hydro brakes would be nice & a rear end to give us a a good cruzing speed . I'm willing to drive anywhere to pickup the right bus . Age is not too important 1995 - 2003 is a good span right lol . Will consider flat nose or conventual style but leaning towards the latter manly due to a possible front impact .
So enjoy looking through the many builds on here , question for you all , has anyone gone with a cab over bed type of conversion , just not seen one yet & have it set in my head about going this route .
Setting this plan into action Now & looking to Buy in 4-5 weeks as we move into spring .

Thanks for letting us little folks join in all your fun & I hope we can bring a year of enjoyment during our future build .

All ideas info help will be appreciated .

Frodo

TheHobbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Help & Info Please !!

Welcome and good luck with your search,as for a bunk over the drivershead...mmm...dunno if there's room,sounds like an experementt when bus shows up
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Welcome and good luck with your search,as for a bunk over the drivershead...mmm...dunno if there's room,sounds like an experementt when bus shows up

Hi Bansil ...... Thanks ... Not over the drivers head , I'm thinking more like over the front of the motor like a class , would be used as a kids bunk .

Frodo
Old 02-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

welcome, with 4 of you i would look at a full size dognose, there the cheapest and lots around for sale.
Central canada, would that be manitoba? Im in northwesteren ont
gbstewart
Old 02-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
welcome, with 4 of you i would look at a full size dognose, there the cheapest and lots around for sale.
Central canada, would that be manitoba? Im in northwesteren ont
gbstewart

Hey Stewart .... Thanks for your interest , you bet ya S/W Manitoba is what we call home , Little cooool right now ey ....
What you guys got for a unit ? ...
When you say full size , are we talking 40 ft bumper to bumper ? .... If so it's just going to be too big , we like to travel in the winter , except this winter due to work / projects & when I say travel I mean south to Mexico & beyond !!!! ... Last winter we went with a 30ft older class C & would not want to be too much longer with our bus .
This would be our 2nd conversion , the 1st being many years ago back in England , that build we actually drove from the UK to India !!!!!! .

Yes we are nuts so should fit in !

Got any tips for locating a unit up here in Canada ... I've been looking in the US up to yet ... Bought a bunch of rides south of the border in the last few years ... Always a adventure .

What your ride ?

Take care

Frodo & Friends
Old 02-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Any school bus line in winnipeg will have them for sale, should just be a matter of a phone call or 2 , buying off of them is the best place cause they are well looked after as well as service records,
Our bus is full size 38 feet bumper to bumber you get about 27 or so feet inside, with 4 people it can get a bit cramped, we went a trip to PEI for a month with 3 adults and 1 ten year old and a dog, Not sure if I would want something smaller. You get use to driving around towns and sight seeing they can be pretty moveable around tight places. our floor plan has rear bedroom with double bed and we have 1 set of bunk beds.
here is a link to our built on this site, as well as our travells
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5931

I still have lots of things to do this year, put the new flooring in, hitch, more painting, and other stuff

gbstewart
Old 02-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

That's great info .....
Is your unit licensed as a motorhome now up here in Canada ? ..

Can anyone also give us total lengths on there rides .
Old 02-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

yes we are regestered as a motorhome, I dont know how it would work in manitoba with autopac, most likly be much simpler for insurance then it was here in Ontario. Here insurance companies run the province.
gbstewart
Old 02-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

So Skoolie folks ..... Cat , Cummins , International .. Diesel Power ? Puller or Pusher .

I do sure like the idea of having the power pushing us .. Would be able to soundproof big time .. How do they compare when it comes to handling ? ... That motor in the back would help with traction ey .

Frodo
Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHobbits
So Skoolie folks ..... Cat , Cummins , International .. Diesel Power ? Puller or Pusher .

I do sure like the idea of having the power pushing us .. Would be able to soundproof big time .. How do they compare when it comes to handling ? ... That motor in the back would help with traction ey .

Frodo
I've only ever owned/driven our current bus... so I'm pretty bias and ultimately do not have much real world experience but with that being said. I vote Cummins 8.3 with an Allison 643 or better trans. Minimum 643 on the trans as you want that lock up converter in 3rd and 4th. Then you have the option for an exhaust brake.
With that combo you will most likely be in the pusher category. As far as soundproofing, our pusher is damn near silent in any room in the house besides the bedroom.
You can easily hold a conversation in the bedroom at 55 mph. If it was not for the vibration and the gauges, it would be difficult to tell if the bus was running sometimes.

Good luck.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Syke Thanks for your input ... Luv your rig & your write ups ...

It anyone has a list or a time to post what units would give me a great running rig with that lockup tranny it would be awesome !
I'm good with the wrenches pulling & fixing , but when it comes to bus technical info I'm lost .

Maybe for me it will better that once we have a bus we are interested in We post it to you guys for the lowdown ... Then guide us to say yes or no .....

We have the $$ ready to get the bus ,,, just need to hold back our excitement & enthusiasm to make sure we get the right puppy .

Thanks for the fab welcome & help so far ..

Flying out to Mexico tomorrow to build sandcastles with my little man , celebrating 3 years cancer free status .

We can't wait to get back lol to buy & start work on our Time Machine !!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by syke
... You can easily hold a conversation in the bedroom at 55 mph...
I don't think you should hold a conversation in the bedroom with anyone while you are driving down the road! Cruise control doesn't work like that! And !
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
I don't think you should hold a conversation in the bedroom with anyone while you are driving down the road! Cruise control doesn't work like that! And !

My wife has SHS .. Selective Hearing Syndrome !!! So I guess it's not Gona make any diff LoL

Getting closer I think ... Looking at dog nose Cummins
Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
If you tape a bunch of boom sticks together.... you can drive from any seat in the house.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Home ....

Now the search starts ... Excited

Sure is a pile of ex school buses in Mexico
Old 02-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Heres another place in quebec drove past there a few years ago looked like sea of yellow, I ordered parts from them

http://www.girardinbluebird.com/content ... rique.aspx I think this link should work

gbstewart