Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Help!! Emergency exit alarm problems 😤

Man oh man how I am beyond aggravated with the freaking emergency exits, I should have been more careful when doing walls but live and learn I guess. So bus alarm buzzer things are going off and since the alarm is triggered it will not allow the running headlamps to shut off either. So here is what I have done so far to try to fix this...

4 window emergency exits - remembered they only have a one wire switch that plugs into the wiring harness, however I moved them to the front of the bus so I can't plug them back in so what I did was attached a oring connector to the wire that it plugs into and grounded it to the frame, figured that's all the switch in the window did was close a circuit.

2 roof hatches - wired as original still

Rear window -alarm not going off for that, it was then but I tested the button and it went off when pressed in so I slammed the window shut and it stopped buzzing in the rear.

Side exit door - I couldn't find the switch for it because the handle/locking mechanism is behind the side wall, reached in there and could feel the bar that moves but didn't not feel any wires or switch, I found 2 yellow wires hanging in the area of the door from the roof so I grounded them the the bus haha I think this did something to the radio cause it stopped working.

Bus is a 2001 international with a dt466 can anyone please advise me how to remove the alarms in a way that will not trigger the lights and buzzers please!!!!! Or maybe how to wire it all back up so that it just stops. I'm assuming if there is a wire that's not connected that it is on the side exit door. Also if someone can tell me if grounding those single wire window switches is working to silence the alarm or if that is doing nothing. I'm at the point now where I have to run a charger on it all day and night and it is driving me insane because the batteries have died like 3 times!

Kpendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Mine is a 1998/99 International Bluebird with the DT466. If yours is like mine, simply cutting the wires (without grounding them) should fix your problems.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyCoyote View Post
Mine is a 1998/99 International Bluebird with the DT466. If yours is like mine, simply cutting the wires (without grounding them) should fix your problems.
Mine's an 03 Amtran RE. Same thing- cut'em and tape 'em. For your side door, there should be a switch that opens the circuit when the door's closed on the wall. It'll be behind the crash bulkhead for that next seat.

Of course, if you pull the entire wiring harness, you won't have that problem any more. And get some beer money at the metal yard.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:33 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Mine's an 03 Amtran RE. Same thing- cut'em and tape 'em. For your side door, there should be a switch that opens the circuit when the door's closed on the wall. It'll be behind the crash bulkhead for that next seat.

Of course, if you pull the entire wiring harness, you won't have that problem any more. And get some beer money at the metal yard.
Well originally I disconnected all of the wires going to them and the buzzers but for some reason it still has the headlights on and they won't turn off, so then I tried to reconnect everything again haha
Old 12-06-2016, 01:14 AM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1995
Chassis: Thomas Saf T Line
Engine: 8.3L Cummins
zoomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:34 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy View Post
Very interesting video, I will be looking for that relay tomorrow. However, my bus still turns over and starts up it's just the lights that I couldn't get to go off. Anyhoo there should be a similar relay like the one in the video that I can omit and put in a closed loop. I shall post a picture of my wiring box tomorrow as well if I find it or not, maybe someone can point it out if I don't.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:47 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Also if it may help to figure out, the only buzzer that is going off is the one that's in the wiring/fuse box. That and the running headlamps are on.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Ok so it was the door alarm switch, that killed the horn honking and headlights.

However, the brake lights are still on, my air pressure is low, does that make the brake lights come on???

Also the buzzer in the wiring box up by the driver seat is still going off, is this caused by low brake pressure as well?

Killed my batteries and they are charging back up now so I can't start it to tell if that's it or not.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Ok so it was a door switch, I removed the framing around the door so I can wood wall that mofo real nice and I didn't tape the switch down, that was causing the horn and the headlights.

The buzzer in the fuse box/wiring box is still going off, I disconnected that dude so it's silent but still like to kno why it's going off so I can fix it. All three pink wires from the alarms are going into it... I have isolated it to 2 of the wires that I have linked together, don't kno if I'm curious enough to track it down tho, I'm guna wait and see if it triggers any other alarms/lights/whatever, if nothing I'm disconnecting it and forgetting it.

Thank you guys for trying to help, no one mentioned the door but the thought of other people having struggled with it gave me the motivation not to break something and later have to fix both hahaha
Old 12-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
some buses have night time locks on them to secure the bus when not in use. my bus had them on the side door and the rear window over the engine. when the bus is in operation the locks have to be in the open position so the kids can just open the door or window and get out. these locks had there own switches that would set off an alarm. i fiqured mine out at the fuse box after many hours, good luck
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

What kind of bus do you have? Year and make..
Old 12-06-2016, 06:06 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpendy View Post
What kind of bus do you have? Year and make..
who me 96 thomas rear engine
Old 12-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
who me 96 thomas rear engine
Oh mine is international, what do those night locks look like??

Mine only have the red handle on the windows and the side exit door has one big red handle that engages a switch mounted on the wall next to the door, the handle slides a bar back and forth into and off of the switch.

Are these night locks hidden or do I just not have them??
Old 12-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #14
Bus Nut

you dont have them. they were bolt type locks on mine that kept the door and rear window handles from moving. they had there own contact switches on them. back to the drawing board
Old 12-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #15

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran international
Engine: 7.3 diesel international
Rated Cap: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpendy View Post
Oh mine is international, what do those night locks look like??

Mine only have the red handle on the windows and the side exit door has one big red handle that engages a switch mounted on the wall next to the door, the handle slides a bar back and forth into and off of the switch.

Are these night locks hidden or do I just not have them??
I'm having the same issues! 1997 international buzzing won't stop
Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Have you cut the wires going to the switches? Make sure they are not grounded. Is there a deadbolt on the rear door? Is that locked? (That one took me a few anxious minutes to find on our bus.) Does the bus start?

Dave
ermracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly View Post
I'm having the same issues! 1997 international buzzing won't stop
International is the chassis. The bus body would have been built by a body company like Thomas, AmTrans, Blue Bird, Carpenter, et al.

Each body company did things a little differently but they are all basically the same. There is a momentary switch that is kept open as long as the door or door latch is all the way closed. As soon as the door latch is moved or the door opened the switch will close completing the circuit which will turn on the buzzer. The roof hatches are a particular bugger to get them to seat back properly and turn the buzzer off.

Some buses will have vandal locks that lock the emergency doors and exits from opening from the outside. If your bus has them the buzzer will go off until you unlock the vandal locks. Sometimes it will only be a neutral safety switch to keep the bus from starting. Others will include the neutral safety switch with buzzers to really alert you to the fact your vandal locks are still in place.

Finding where each switch is can be a challenge.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
International is the chassis. The bus body would have been built by a body company like Thomas, AmTrans, Blue Bird, Carpenter, et al.

Each body company did things a little differently but they are all basically the same. There is a momentary switch that is kept open as long as the door or door latch is all the way closed. As soon as the door latch is moved or the door opened the switch will close completing the circuit which will turn on the buzzer. The roof hatches are a particular bugger to get them to seat back properly and turn the buzzer off.

Some buses will have vandal locks that lock the emergency doors and exits from opening from the outside. If your bus has them the buzzer will go off until you unlock the vandal locks. Sometimes it will only be a neutral safety switch to keep the bus from starting. Others will include the neutral safety switch with buzzers to really alert you to the fact your vandal locks are still in place.

Finding where each switch is can be a challenge.
Use of the tools pictured and any amount of sobriety you are comfortable with has always worked for me.
Attached Thumbnails
20180927_152732.jpg  
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:29 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
Use of the tools pictured and any amount of sobriety you are comfortable with

IS there an eventual limit? I keep increasing my BAC but I'm still very comfortable with the hammer.......

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:40 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post

IS there an eventual limit? I keep increasing my BAC but I'm still very comfortable with the hammer.......
I believe that is when you wake up under the bus and you are not really clear where you are at.

But hey, we be OK with that
Mrs Rivet boy probably not
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, emergency exit