Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2019, 10:33 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Help fixing skoolie door!

So this is kind of embarrassing... we’re pretty far along in our conversion process but we haven’t fixed our front door. Wood stove ? Check. Vent fan? Check. Door we don’t have to clamp shut? *crickets*

We have a manually operated skoolie door that shuts pretty tight from the inside, but th there’s no way to lock it from outside so we installed a deadbolt. The door shuts well enough and the seal is okay except for one lower side on the bottom right - there’s a gap we have to clamp shut so our cat doesn’t escape. Bonus cat picture is attached.

I’m not sure how to fix this one. Take a look and give me some advice if you can! Maybe new bolts?
Attached Thumbnails
B5FDDC61-3DDA-4598-8B16-CFB984411106.jpg   A8EB629A-704F-4C74-870B-8E102291AC27.jpg  

neuronmisfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Our 2002 Thomas had a bunch of rust in that area. After cleaning that up, there was still a space in the lower front door (but not enough to get a cat through). I used some lumber and a pipe-clamp. I put the lumber on the first stair up from the bottom such that it protruded about an inch or so past the edge of the opening in the bottom stair where the door is SUPPOSED to close against. Then I closed the doors, put a board on the outside of the door along the bottom, and used the pipe clamp hooked at the back of the bottom stair and outside of the door "board" right at the end of the front door for most leverage. I slowly cranked the pipe-clamp to bend the door. I also moved the "stairs" board up (by piling up about 8 inches of lumber) to get a little more bend because there was need in that area as well. Take it slow and easy and check for fit, removing the "stairs" board so the door can close.

Darn ... I knew I should have taken pictures!

Edit: Note that the "stairs" board should NOT be placed above the solid portion of the door unless you want a cracked window.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:37 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

That is fantastic advice! I’m gonna get it a try tomorrow morning and let ya know how it goes!
neuronmisfires is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, door