Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2023, 03:21 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Help Me Frame My RV Windows With the Wrong Steel: Is This Too Far Gone?

Hey y’all, let me know if I screwed up beyond repair. I bought a bunch of old RV windows that I’m going to use in my bus and am starting the roofraise this Friday. Being unfamiliar with working with steel tubing, I did not think it out enough and went ahead and bought a listing I found on market place. It was $150 for 80 feet of galvanizedsquare steel tubing. The thing is, it’s only 1”x1” 16 gauge. Feels and looks WAYYY smaller than what I was imaging (which I’ve come to realize is probably 2x2 steel tubing). I really don’t want to have to toss these but they just don’t seem sturdy enough.

For more context, I’m framing the windows in the raise with these galvanized tubes. As a result they will be welded in between the hat channels once they’re cut and will be part of the structural support of the roof.

Here’s a pic of the tubes I got AND what I’m planning on doing with them. https://imgur.com/a/Afgwghj

Can you all give me feedback on whether these are too small/thin to use? And if so, what is something else I could use them for? I’m short on time and really don’t want to flush $150 worth of cut tubing away.

Nick5272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:06 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
FWIW, my gut agrees with yours: the tubing you got is not up to the task. I think of 1x1 16ga as a pretty decent stand-in for 2x4 lumber. I used it and 1x2 16ga extensively in my build for framing walls, cabinets, furniture, etc., but in my mind anything structural needs stouter stuff. 1.5" square tube 1/8" wall is what I'd guess would be sufficient (which is a LOT more metal than you have). Sorry for the bad news. Smarter people than I will chime in soon - hopefully they disagree with me.

Just in case you haven't been told, please be careful welding galvanized. Look it up. It can be hazardous to your health.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 05:08 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
I would not be too overly concerned about the 16 ga tubing, unless that is, that you can bend it with your bare hands!

For those tubes to bend when installed, your whole wall will have to seriously flex/ bend.

What you might consider is strenghting the tubing by adding a piece of 1” angle iron to the vertical tubes.

You could cut what you already have in half, lengthwise to get 2 pieces of angle iron.
That might save you some money.

Oh and you did not screw it up beyond repair, just might need a little more custom work/ideas!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:31 AM   #4
Skoolie

I think I’m gonna buy some new tubing. What size would you all recommend? Local shop had 1.5” and 2” in 1/8” or 1/16” thickness
Old 03-30-2023, 03:18 PM   #5
Skoolie

I went with 1 1/4” tubing 1/8” thick. Any input on how to measure it for the windows? I have three windows that are all 21” by 31” measured from outer flange to outer flange. Should I box them in flush with the metal box or do I need a wood frame buffer between them? Note- they are wider than the width between hat channels so I cannot avoid cutting through a hat channel to get it in
Old 03-30-2023, 04:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
pics of your rv windows will help us guide you.
not all windows mount the same and i have not seen an rv window that mounts like a school bus window?
but never had an rv or camper so never really studied there windows or how they were mounted.
the ones i have seen were mounted with the rubber gasket like a truck back glass or whatever else so framing will have to take that into consideration.
and i have read on here about wood framing being better for condenstion but once again i am not the one for best practice nor have ever done it yet.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:35 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
pics of your rv windows will help us guide you.
not all windows mount the same and i have not seen an rv window that mounts like a school bus window?
but never had an rv or camper so never really studied there windows or how they were mounted.
the ones i have seen were mounted with the rubber gasket like a truck back glass or whatever else so framing will have to take that into consideration.
and i have read on here about wood framing being better for condenstion but once again i am not the one for best practice nor have ever done it yet.
Here are some pics: https://imgur.com/a/mMH5t1B

Tags
galvanized, raise, rv window, steel tube, tubing