Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2006, 03:19 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Help me move out of my RV...

I bought my 86 winnebago 33 footer for $4000 about a year and a half ago. I didn't have time to do a lot of research about my other options for living on the road and that deal popped up so I went for it.

Life on the road has been great so far and all I can think about is how I can keep doing it. The RV's 454 engine has been less than reliable lately along with gass prices. The furnace and the water heater are on the fritz, both need new control boards, and I am rebuilding the generator right now. The Plumbing is all good as well as both roof top AC units. The converter functions great and my batteries and inverter/charger are keepers no matter what I do with the thing. Fridge and freezer also work great.

I need to get a good idea of what I would pay for these items individually and if they would be usefull in the conversion process.

The question is, do I sell the RV as is right now and put the money into my bus project, or do I hold on to it and use the parts I can get from it to hook up my bus? What have people done in the past and how did it work? Will my shell of an RV with a working engine transmission attached to it be worth anything when I am done with it?

I am simply trying to build a warm and dry home on wheels with minimal comforts but maximum utility, workshop/recording studio/practice space comes first. Comfort and style second. so keep that in mind.

Any and all input appreciated.

runnysucklehose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:37 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

That's a tough one to answer. I guess it all depends on how much time you can devote to the conversion process, and how much planning you've done. Also, access to tools, etc.

Maybe you could find a partially converted bus (heating system, AC, toilet/shower).

I would say to fix up your RV, but with gas prices, trading on a partial conversion may be the best thing.

Good luck in whatever you choose!!!
DigDug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
Skoolie

The control boards for the appliances are probably available from Dinosaur Electronics, don't have their URL to hand, do a Google search.
Also many upscale RV places and suppliers carry Dino stuff, you can get through them instead of direct through the manufacturer.

I'd keep the appliances, you know they work or are repairable. The RV itself is all stick-and-stapled 2x2 lumber with a 3mm ply interior and a thin aluminum skin. Salvage the skin for scrap, junk the rest, and see if you can sell the running chassis for a toy hauler....MAYBE save the cab area intact, close off the back of the cab so they can convert the rear area for a flatbed hauler.

Or sell it as is, dunno what you'll get for it.......

My $0.02