Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Wondering if what you had is what's at the top of my stairs. This was under the plywood. Haven't taken the sheet up yet.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-4224.jpg  

awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e, Alison 2000 transmission
I would look under the bus and make sure it is not a patch for rusted out floor section.

Mine was basically a 6 inch strip to reinforce the mounting bolts for the seats.
Markusbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:36 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markusbc View Post
I would look under the bus and make sure it is not a patch for rusted out floor section.

Mine was basically a 6 inch strip to reinforce the mounting bolts for the seats.

Thanks, what should I look for underneath? I guess rust and that patch? A likely place for rust, near the stairs. I'm a little surprised as it's a basically rust free vehicle.

The rubber near it is tucked under it, and there seems to be insulation under there too.
awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

If insulation is under it and the patch is not visible from under the bus then It is not a patch. Hard to say. Depending on what you are doing with the bus I would try and replace the fibreglass insulation under it.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:36 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markusbc View Post

This does have the look of a post-factory patch, but that's what I thought about your strips, too, so I dunno. Rust damage around the driver's seat and between the seat and the steps seems common, and this definitely looks improvised with the way it's cut and the screws on one side and welds to the top of the steps. I wonder if they had the same lack of courage about welding above the greasy drivetrain as I did.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:20 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
This does have the look of a post-factory patch, but that's what I thought about your strips, too, so I dunno. Rust damage around the driver's seat and between the seat and the steps seems common, and this definitely looks improvised with the way it's cut and the screws on one side and welds to the top of the steps. I wonder if they had the same lack of courage about welding above the greasy drivetrain as I did.
Could be. Maybe see if you can find the patch panel under the bus and see if there is rust where the panels overlap and if it was sealed with a good quality seam sealer that is paintable. If not that’s how I would seal the lap joint and then paint it with a rust primer and some undercoat.