Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Help! Skoolie Skared!

ok so here it is I may be "acquiring a school bus... dont ask and I wont tell... its a Wiiiieeerd situation".....and yes its all legal(someone owes me some money but they dont have any cash.. but the yhave a bus)

so he says "well I just bought this bus got it home and now cant do anything with it... here I'll give this to you.. its all i can do.. I got no cash"...

the skoolie in question here is 100% completely original even down to the bus number on the side.. and the 2009 inspection..

it is an '88 Blue bird with 100k miles,
with a chevy big block 366 that has 500 miles on it.. (paperwork to prove the the engine has 500 miles)..
has an allison automatic (sounds like a 4 speed (I hear 3 shifts)... even has that cool school bus whistle when it shifts from 1st to second... I LOVE that sound!...

its got power steering.. lots of heaters and defrosters.. looks like there is 2 front defrost coils / fans.. a right side door defroster.. a heater under the driver seat.. one in the middle of the bus and one at the back..

however I could not find any Air-conditioners in it anywhere...

I havent found any rust or any fuid leaks in it...

it has Air-brakes that work good.. pressure is up and solid when the bus is turned off even... (dont I have to have a special license for those?)

so anyway I really have no idea what to do with this thing..

I do know I dont want to make a camper out of it.. but some kind of fun cruiser would be awesome.. put dual exhaist on it, cam the motor, maybe lower the suspension, tint the windows and make it fun..

so is anyone here familiar with ohio laws and regs?

do I have to go get a CDL?
I hear of re-titling it as an RV? but if i do that can it still look like a Bus? like have windows and seats and such?
anyone ever put driving Air-cond into one? meaning A/C I can use while driving.. (not rooftops)..

so can anyone help me? I cant help but think there is a lot of fun in this thing somewhere...

im definately NOT new to fabricating and building automobiles.. Ive built several hot rods from the ground up..

what I AM new to is any laws, regulations, how to insure it liability at this point), how to title it, register it, how to legally drive it..

can nayone help me in this regard? id really like to get it and do something fun with it

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Help! Skoolie Skared!

check with the state police and secretary of state, IIRC you will need to sign an affidavit that says that you have installed kitchen, beds and bath facilities, no inspection , but don't get stoped and not be in compliance.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
Bus Geek

so if i dont have kitchen, bath etc installed can I not drive it?

is it illegal to own a school bus and not be a school?
-Christopher
Old 05-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

it will be alot cheaper to reg as a rv you still want a fridge for beer right?then you need to take a leak later right? munchies?you can meet the criteria and still stay hot rod bus not rv bus?
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
Bus Nut

make some phone calls, the enforcement side don't have much of a sense of humor sometimes, first hand experience from my teen years says that a sleeping bag, coleman stove, cooler and portapotty don't make a rv
a bed with a foam matress, dorm/bar refrigerator, working microwave, sink with water supply and drain tank, toilet with holding tank, power inverter,genset and or installed wiring for the microwave and you pass the requirements.

there is a list of like 6 things and you have to have 4 of the items functioning.

if you register it as a rv you can drive it, just be prepaired for the consequences if you get stopped.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Bus Geek

hmm I was afraid you were gonna say that... i was really hoping to have the interior still look and feel like a bus.. thus also not having to deal with water tanks and sewer tanks and such....

but i suppose there is some law about the number of seats that a vehicle can have....

-Christopher
Old 05-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I think it's more than 15 eople including the driver and it becomes commrecial and requires a chauffers license, some other options for registration may be, truck or non commercial truck, limo,non commercial bus.
I'm pretty sure that the flashing lights and stop sign have to go away and possibly the yellow paint.
go to the state website and use up the search function, the it's all public information, finding it can be a pita, just save it or print it when you find it,
I personally like to drop by the olice station and ask the questions, after all they enforce the laws and are paid to serve the public, translate that to help us stay out of trouble by giving us correct information to work with.