I really appreciate all the tips. I am glad to hear it doesnt take too long to sand, I am partners with 3 other guys on this bus so we definitely have the man power. Also, we have plenty of sanders laying around. I am located in Illinois, so I will definitely skip the water- I am glad you saved me that nightmare headache. I have a few other questions for you:
1) What pressure would you use on the air sprayer?
i use a cheap hvlp gun, and run about 100 psi at the compressor, then the air travels through 100 feet of hose before it gets to the gun.
2) What nozzle size?
my gun had 2 sizes, i chose the big size.
3) Is it worth it to add this stuff on the roof for an apparent radient hear barrior - http://www.hytechsales.com/insulating_p ... tives.html
don't know, never used it. don't think i ever heard anyone regret putting it on.
4) we are planning on painting the roof white and the body red with black trim. Should we paint the white or the red first, I am assuming there will be some overspray as we paint one color and then we will mask to make the line for the other color.
i don't know if it really matters, but it's probably easier to paint red over top of the white. but masking after the paint dries is definately the way to go. it's worth the $20 or whatever it costs at sherwin williams paint store to buy a huge long roll of masking material.
5) should we just rattle can the trim and side stripes with black?
the right way to do it would be to mask and paint with the paint sprayer
6) Is red harder to paint than other colors?
i don't think so. i paint red flames, and it seems just like black, only different
7) How many coats of paint does it usually take?
clearcoat needs to be sprayed in 2 coats. the first is a "tach" coat or something to get things sticky, then a heavier shiny coat goes over top of that a few minutes later.
I know that is more than a few other questions, but I would appreciate the input. It sounds like we need to do the following:
2) Mineral spirit wipe down
3) 1 coat of primer
4) 3 coats of paint?
5) a few coats of clear coat
Also, if you are anywhere close to illinois (chicago area) we would probably be willing to pay for your help....interested?!? If not you should send me your email privately and we will send you something for all the great advice.