Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #1

HELPPPPP Needed ASAP -- on the road!

Hi, my husband just picked up our skoolie. He's on I-77 as we "speak." He just realized the lights don't work. Only one headlamp, and only one side brakes. If you remember, we are VERY GREEN -- what should he look for? He was thinking he could stop at a Flying J and buy headlamps, fuses, etc. Please advise me ASAP so I can call him and tell him what he should do. Remember, we'll need step by step directions.

Thanks so much.

Zanna -- with John on the road!!!

rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Where on I-77? Maybe somebody is close? What state?
waywardfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
Bus Geek

since more than 1 bulb doesn't work, chances are good that it's not a headlight bulb that is burned out, but rather an electrical problem. Test the headlight bulb first though, as this would be the easiest problem to fix.

it's real easy to fix the headlights temporarily.....

there are 3 wires that go to each headlight: + highbeam, + lowbeam, and --Ground.

Using a voltmeter or a test light would be the easiest way to identify the three wires. Once you figure that out, it's really easy to temporarily run a piece of wire from the light that works to the one that doesn't. All you really need to do is run 1 wire from the +(positive) low beam wire on one light to the same wire on the light that is not working. If that doesn't fix it, then you'll also need to run a ground wire from one light to the other.

let me know if that helps,

since internet access i prob difficult to find on the road, you can call my cell if you'd like more help

Good Luck!

---Jason
Old 08-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
Bus Geek

another possibility is that the electrical connector for the headlight is corroded........
Old 08-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #5

HELPPPP with lights -- on the road

Ok -- he stopped for the evening about 60 miles N of Charleston, WV on the I-77. Apparently I was wrong -- neither headlight works. And the left rear brake and turn signal don't work.

Thanks for the help so far. Just need a little more -----
Old 08-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
Bus Geek

eventually you'll need to fix the problem the right way, but a temporary fix will get him home.

First, try and find the fuses for the bus. Some vehicles have them in multiple locations, others have auto-resetting circuit breakers. If you have fuses and can find them, check and make sure there are no blown fuses.

if that doesn't solve the issue.....

The next step to make the headlights work is to attach a piece of wire (preferrably 14 guage or larger) from the positive low beam wire on the headlights to a source of 12 volt positive current in the bus. The most obvious site is the positive terminal from the battery, although there might be some more easily accessable source inside the bus. Perhaps the switch panel comes apart with just 2 screws? There would be a lot of places inside the swithc panel to find a 12 volt power source. Connecting a "hot" wire to either headlight should make both headlights come on. This may not make the runninglights come on. connecting a "hot" wire to any of the runninglights should also make all of the running lights illuminate. Just a note: Connecting the 12 volt hot wire to a fuse near the power source is an excellent idea as far as safety is concerned. The last thing he needs is to connect a non fused wire to an already shorted out circuit and catch the bus on fire. That would be less than desirable! (although, i am crazy enough that i probably would not put an inline fuse into a temporary fix of this nature)

Although having all of your brakelights functioning would be preferred, I think that a person could safely drive a bus long distances with a burned out or otherwise non-functioning brake light. Once the bus was home fixing the brake light would probably be much easier than trying to do it along side the road.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:45 AM   #7

Thanks for the help

Hey, guys!! Thanks so much for the help! He's driving only during the day, got about another 400 miles to go -- maybe he can make it home tonight and we can worry about the lights this week.

Can't thank you enough -- just as much for the feeling that there's someone out there to help us, as for the great advice.

Be well.
John and Zanna
Old 08-12-2006, 08:12 PM   #8
Bus Geek

what became of the latest engine problem? It sounded pretty bad....