Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2021, 12:54 AM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
I’m going with “time is running out” for the win
Today I met some Skoolies on the road. They were a young family from Montreal and have been full time for three years, Montreal to Florida, Texas, Arizona and so on. Now they’re in BC for the past year plus and planning for Mexico. Today they were sitting on the side of road selling fresh picked black berries trying to make some bank. I turned back, introduced myself and bought $20 of berries and wished them well on their travels. My wife thinks I’m nuts cause I’ve got acres of blackberries.
Today was a good day.
Cheers

Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:55 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
If I put the RV tag on my Miata should the cop leave me alone? I think you'd have a tough time proving it was an illegal stop if the cop pulled over a private NSBGY bus with a standard tag. I doubt anyone will be able to give an example of roads that allow RV's, but not buses. The roads that forbid buses, forbid RV 's also. As soon as you say it's not a bus, I would write you for having it yellow, and then impound it because you were a smart ass.

Having driven across this country quite a few times and lived in a number of locations, I've seen prohibitions for: Height, width, GVWR, Axel weight, propane tanks over a certain capacity (and some banning all propane including the ones in an RV), Commercial vehicles (any or over certain sizes), and I have seen signs prohibiting buses but not RV's (as just one of the many things prohibited).
They are out there. Just keep your eyes open and all should be fine.

ASSUMING you are indeed passing a "buses prohibited sign" while sporting an RV plate, it would indeed be an illegal stop (assuming the stop was for being a bus) as there was no RAS of a crime (or infraction in this case) which must be established PRIOR to the detainment.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:43 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Having driven across this country quite a few times and lived in a number of locations, I've seen prohibitions for: Height, width, GVWR, Axel weight, propane tanks over a certain capacity (and some banning all propane including the ones in an RV), Commercial vehicles (any or over certain sizes), and I have seen signs prohibiting buses but not RV's (as just one of the many things prohibited).
They are out there. Just keep your eyes open and all should be fine.

ASSUMING you are indeed passing a "buses prohibited sign" while sporting an RV plate, it would indeed be an illegal stop (assuming the stop was for being a bus) as there was no RAS of a crime (or infraction in this case) which must be established PRIOR to the detainment.
If it's yellow and doesn't have school bus tags, LEO has every right to pull it for wrong color if it is an RV on a Bus prohibited road. I've driven new purchase buses with no tags from Seattle, Portland, and Louisville to Atl. Never an issue.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:05 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
There is that. But the if

That said, NEVER fight it out on the side of the road. The fighting should be in the courtroom. But don't just roll over because you came up on a bad or stupid cop.
There are bad /stupid cops...but even good cops may have a bad day, or make a mistake...I would try to not fail the "attitude test" because I prefer to not have to make my point to a judge.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:30 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
There are bad /stupid cops...but even good cops may have a bad day, or make a mistake...I would try to not fail the "attitude test" because I prefer to not have to make my point to a judge.
I'm with you there. I own a wing of the Van Nuys Courthouse I'm sure from the 70's. After $1000's of dollars in fine, I got 11 speeding tickets in my 78 911S in one summer, didn't lose my license, paid all by mail, did not want to see a judge. I finally learned how to play the game and haven't had a ticket in years, even after getting pulled over many times. Used to piss my exwife off how many times I walked. She just didn't thinkit was fair. Bottom line I tried to teach my daughter- You got pulled over for doing something wrong, admit it. You will never win an arguement on the side of the road with an LEO. Fess up, giving the officer respect goes a long way.
To go along with the "attitude test", I have found that most often if pulled over by a State Trooper, you will be getting a ticket, either ticket A, or ticket B, wholey dependant on your attitude.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

My "attitude" depends upon the government agent and their approach/attitude. If they obey the law and stay on their leash we're good.

When they make an illegal stop such as "well I saw you driving through town several times", "we got a call of a man with a rifle slung over his shoulder", "we were told you had a gun on you" and things along those lines......ALL of which have happened to me and are absolutely illegal. And my "attitude" which would be more appropriately described as "appalled by the criminal activity of government agents", goes to max including four letter words and 100% refusal to cooperate (but not physically resist) in any way. Then again, principle is important to me, I won't give up a single RIGHT, and I will make the state prove their case every time.

Now, I just noticed that this thread has no relation to this topic and so I will not have any further comment except on the original question/topic.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 08-08-2021, 09:52 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
The highest is a photograph of a yellow school-bus... with an inverted yellow school-bus mounted wheels-up atop.
According to the myth, 'Topsy Turvy' was commissioned by somebody with Ben&Jerry ice-cream, apparently.
The staff travels around to 'raise awareness' about bureaucrats, apparently.
I imagine this's probably in the neighborhood of close to twenty foot.
Just because you can does not mean you should.
PS:
Who has 'low awareness' of bureaucrats?
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:46 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
I’m going with “time is running out” for the win
Today I met some Skoolies on the road. They were a young family from Montreal and have been full time for three years, Montreal to Florida, Texas, Arizona and so on. Now they’re in BC for the past year plus and planning for Mexico. Today they were sitting on the side of road selling fresh picked black berries trying to make some bank. I turned back, introduced myself and bought $20 of berries and wished them well on their travels. My wife thinks I’m nuts cause I’ve got acres of blackberries.
Today was a good day.
Cheers
LOL on the berries..... you may have tons of them at home but now you have some berries and someone else paid the blood cost.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:47 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

My bus(2012 bluebird 40 foot length) with a 24" lift is 13 foot with solar panels. I get the same 10mpg with my 8.3 cummins diesel than before the raise. Weight feels the same. I feel like I gotta slow down 5-10 mph in turns, but I drive conservativly. Never found a road I couldn't fit under except for untrimmed tree branches.
Skoolagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:16 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoolagain View Post
My bus(2012 bluebird 40 foot length) with a 24" lift is 13 foot with solar panels. I get the same 10mpg with my 8.3 cummins diesel than before the raise. Weight feels the same. I feel like I gotta slow down 5-10 mph in turns, but I drive conservativly. Never found a road I couldn't fit under except for untrimmed tree branches.
This is what I like to hear. Hope to hear more of it
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

YIKES 13' would never work with out mission. But for others it's fine.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:49 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3770.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	61133
In NYC
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:52 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert06840 View Post
I know Ellen has a big head, but that's ridiculous.