Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2019, 07:35 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
Home windows on bus?

I bought some home windows to put on my bus. Didn't think this would be an issue since we'll be at the front while driving.

Should I return them and get RV windows?

How about laminating them with hurricane type film?

Anybody done this?

Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im not a fan of home windows simply because they are designed to be true'd and shimmed and not be part of a constantly flexing body... vehicle windows aside from having safety glass or tempered glass are designed for flex and movement over a long term..

apparently people use them in their conversions all the time and I dont see many come back to complain of them causing issues..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im not a fan of home windows simply because they are designed to be true'd and shimmed and not be part of a constantly flexing body... vehicle windows aside from having safety glass or tempered glass are designed for flex and movement over a long term..

apparently people use them in their conversions all the time and I dont see many come back to complain of them causing issues..
-Christopher

Good point. Thank you.
I need to check on the glazing for the glass to prevent any flying piece in case of an accident.

PS
I plan on framing the windows with steel, so hopefully that'll help with any flexing.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have seen a couple of folks use tempered residential windows. Unfortunately, I think that they have all left the forum. No long term performance info.

I understand the argument against but it is speculation so far. I have not heard anything good or bad from someone who has actually tried it.

Sombody want to be our gineau pig? Come on... Take one for the team
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have seen a couple of folks use tempered residential windows. Unfortunately, I think that they have all left the forum. No long term performance info.

I understand the argument against but it is speculation so far. I have not heard anything good or bad from someone who has actually tried it.

Sombody want to be our gineau pig? Come on... Take one for the team

I guess I'll be able to report on residential windows with the hurricane laminate. I can't see that being much different, except maybe better, since the laminate holds all the pieces together in case of shattering glass.

Maybe I can even organize an event like the one from Clint Eastwood's The Gauntlet to test bullet resistance...

Click image for larger version

Name:	tg6.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	38841
Old 10-24-2019, 04:25 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Joe45, I used residential windows in my bus and have been happy with them for 5 years now. Since you can't use aluminum framed windows in residences here in Kalifoprnia any more they had to be special ordered as "shed" windows. While I was ordering I had them use dual glazed "double strength" glass, temper it and apply E coat to help with the heat. I chose horizontal slides and removable screens. The window cases screw into the original steel window openings and I sealed them around the edges with Silkaflex 220+ urethane windshield adhesive (cleans and smooths with mineral spirits but can make a mess and is paintable).
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Joe45, I used residential windows in my bus and have been happy with them for 5 years now. Since you can't use aluminum framed windows in residences here in Kalifoprnia any more they had to be special ordered as "shed" windows. While I was ordering I had them use dual glazed "double strength" glass, temper it and apply E coat to help with the heat. I chose horizontal slides and removable screens. The window cases screw into the original steel window openings and I sealed them around the edges with Silkaflex 220+ urethane windshield adhesive (cleans and smooths with mineral spirits but can make a mess and is paintable).
Jack

The images you posted show as "broken" squares.

Sounds good.

I don't think my windows are tempered though. Got them at a warehouse that sells used windows etc. The two large windows are previously owned and do not open. The two smaller windows are new, still with the stickers.
All of them are double pained.
Do you think laminating them with the hurricane film will be adequate?
Anyone please chime in as well.

Thank you!
Old 10-24-2019, 04:57 PM   #8
Bus Geek

"The images you posted show as "broken" squares." That's strange they show up as pics on my desk top as well as in your quote of my post?
Jack
Old 10-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
"The images you posted show as "broken" squares." That's strange they show up as pics on my desk top as well as in your quote of my post?
Jack
Weird
Old 10-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
I think the hurricane laminate is a great idea just in case one does get broken -- makes clean up worth the cost!

The safety standpoint is for when driving -- seems like a lot of these house-bus plans have a partition between the driving area and the living area. In that case there's no safety issue if no-ones back there while you're driving.

I suppose there's a safety issue to whoever you're in an accident with...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Joe45, I just tried Tapatalk and the images load there as well. Try again and see what happens. Jack
Old 10-24-2019, 10:41 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Joe45, I just tried Tapatalk and the images load there as well. Try again and see what happens. Jack

Tried it at home and now the images show up fine.
Thank you!