Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Re: Hooking up the heater to a second radiator?

I think it would only work if you had an electric fan mounted to it. Even if you don't have the fan running the hot water flowing through the hoses makes the bus pretty hot inside in the summer. That is why most of us put valves at the engine to turn off the flow to those hoses in the summer.

If you need better cooling just put an electric fan on your normal radiator. I did that to mine and it stays at a nice 185 degrees. I think having the hoses that run to the rear heater will help also because you are cooling the water more often.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

I think you could get by with just one fan, they work as both pushers and pullers. Put the fan between the radiator and hole to the outside. I would put a door to the outside so that you can close it when you are not using. In the winter it would heat the bus but help against condensation.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 7.3 diesel

Case-

I just started an identical thread- I must have missed this one. Sorry- I swear I wasn't trying to steal your idea!!

Now let me go practice my "search button" skills.

I do think this is a good idea, though.
RyanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

An auxilliary radiator is a good idea. I had one on my 93 dodge/cummins for the transmission. It had an electric fan that came on automatically when needed. Usually, when pulling loads.
I also like the idea of taking advantage of the heat if possible....but how often would that be. It is relatively simple to hook up a auxilliary radiator. It is a different story to build something to be able to use the heat "when needed". A plenum with cable operated doors could be built to make it work but I come from the KISS way of thinking and I live in Texas where heat is plentiful. It is not wanted except for about two weeks out of the year. Therefore the benefit is minimal to non-exisistant compared to the time needed to design and build the contraption needed to make it work. Do you ever overheat in the winter when you could utilize the heat inside the bus?

K.I.S.S. - keep it simple stupid

Did you address the other reasons for possible overheating yet?
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote