Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9 turbo diesel Cummins
Hot Skin... Am I crazy??

Ok so let's get this out of the way first.. Yes I am crazy but my shrink says as long as I can admit it I'll be ok! Lmao
Now on to the matter. I've been searching for decent alarm systems for my skoolie. I've found audible, silent ones, and all the crazy homemade ones you can think of but there's a problem.... None of them actually prevent the guy wanting to steal your stuff from actually taking it...
Thus my idea.. Every skoolie owner does or should fear hot skin therefore lets use it as a security system... Ever seen a guy climb an electric fence? I haven't... So I'm considering taking a electric fence charger and hooking it directly to the skin of my bus thus creating a HOT SKIN on purpose.. Now I also would be posting electric shock signs in the obvious places for liability reasons.
Let me know what you think maybe this is just another one of those "hold my beer and watch this" ideas I have. But I guarantee you he wouldn't touch my bus for long..

Totallyskooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I do think that it would be effective. I do also believe that it is quite illegal.

It could also leave you wide open to civil liability if someone was (or claimed to be) injured by it.

There have been a number of cases that I have seen where home/business owners have been prosecuted after a would be intruder was injured by the "home brew" security system.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Illegal. I can answer that one definitively and say its not.
Civil liability.. That is the main concern however legally having signs that say do not touch high voltage as well as security cameras would almost alleviate that burden. Its the same form as saying HOT on a cup of coffee. Could it be won in court? Sure, but the odds are slim unless you are in California DC or New York.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
I think a good lock, possibly a hidden safe, and a security system might be less likely to get you sued... Never heard of anyone suing a farmer over an electric fence.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
yes your crazy and a few other things, lets just move on!
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
yes your crazy and a few other things, lets just move on!
If I had a nickel for every time I've been told that. Lol
Old 05-14-2017, 07:32 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yeah, this is a "lock it and forget it" thread.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:42 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
My hatch breakins stopped suddenly when I began talking about rigging a shotgun to go off when the hatch was opened. I'd have to buy a new hatch and clean up all that mess, so I like the hot skin idea.

When I was a kid the old timers said they could take a model-T coil and wire it to the car body because people liked to sit on their car hoods while they were parked on the street.

They didn't have so many people with pacemakers back then.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
a few years ago when pot passed in Colorado, they made it absolutely illegal to booby trap your personal property.

if you are inside the bus and an intruder came in, you probably have the right to defend your property.

to set an unattended electrical booby trap that could harm a child unable to read your warning is foolhardy and you should probably be locked up.

what is so valuable in your bus that you'd turn it into an insect zapper??
Old 05-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Reminds of guys back in the 1950's who would rig their hot rods to do just that. Apparently a 12v battery can put out about 100,00 volts that will knock you on your arse but (generally) won't kill anyone. No idea how they did it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you arent even allowed to "lock in" an intruder.. there was a case here in ohio years back where a burglar came into an unoccupied house and shut the door they jimmied the door somehow from the outside.. but when they closed it there were no knob on the insider.. the owner took the specially made knobs with him... the windows were barred.. the alarm went off and the cops caught the intruder as the homeowner arrived and unlocked the door..

the jewelry and a couple other items were grabbed in attempt to flee before the cops arrived at the alarm..

it was proven the burglar was trapped in the house and he got off.. and filed charges against the homeowner for kidnapping and damn near won his case.. if i remember right the only reason he lost was because his rap sheet was a mile long.. so character played into the jury...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
what is so valuable in your bus that you'd turn it into an insect zapper??
Go price a battery for bus... And that's just the battery. Not to mention if you are living in it full time which would/could include things like family heirloom jewelry, firearms (which could be used in other crimes) not to mention the vandalism which can and most likely will happen while they are inside. How many man hours and material cost are in a skoolie?
But hey let's keep letting criminals take our belongings we got insurance right?
Old 05-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you arent even allowed to "lock in" an intruder.. there was a case here in ohio years back where a burglar came into an unoccupied house and shut the door they jimmied the door somehow from the outside.. but when they closed it there were no knob on the insider.. the owner took the specially made knobs with him... the windows were barred.. the alarm went off and the cops caught the intruder as the homeowner arrived and unlocked the door..

the jewelry and a couple other items were grabbed in attempt to flee before the cops arrived at the alarm..

it was proven the burglar was trapped in the house and he got off.. and filed charges against the homeowner for kidnapping and damn near won his case.. if i remember right the only reason he lost was because his rap sheet was a mile long.. so character played into the jury...

-Christopher
That's crazy.. Can't a man protect his belongings and insure the criminals get caught without having to face civil retribution?
Say what ya want about us rednecks down here but at least we still live in a free state where an honest man can protect his hard earned property.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #14
Bus Geek

If you shoot an intruder and wound them causing some sort of permanent injury they are allowed to sue you for loss of income. Income from their life of crime?
Old 05-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Never "wound" an intruder. And that's all I have to say about that.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:24 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Never "wound" an intruder. And that's all I have to say about that.
Amen to that.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:36 PM   #17
Bus Geek

If someone actually complained about being shocked by your vehicle, you could always explain it with faulty wiring.

My shotgun idea is way to messy, doesn't guarantee a kill and cost me another hatch.

Getting shocked is getting off light for intruders.

It's always amazed me on this site. Someone gets a bus and begins working on it. Suddenly it won't start and they finally figure out that the hatch isn't latched. If someone breaks in through the hatch and leaves the same way, they seem to be unable to latch the hatch to cover their tracks from the outside.

So if we're going to briefly electricute people for touching our buses, how do we turn it off so we can get back inside without giving ourselves a heart attack?
Old 05-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
So if we're going to briefly electricute people for touching our buses, how do we turn it off so we can get back inside without giving ourselves a heart attack?
I was thinking some type of wireless switch or even some simple alligator clips hidden in a discreet location.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
get insurance. way easier than booby traps or shooting someone.

if all your worldly possession are in a bus and you'd kill someone over it, you need to re-examine some basic values in life.

you could also consider a bank? a safety deposit box? if it is truly valuable, you should care for it as such and keep things duly secured.

i would be upset, but not kill over the loss of batteries. i have quite a few. the price would add up well over my insurance deductible.

stuff is stuff
Old 05-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #20
Bus Geek

I was thinking some kind of grounding rod leaned against the body, so I could use my key to get in without getting knocked on my backside.