Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 72
House batteries placed inside?

I have a general question on placement of the house batteries. I am considering installing them inside the bus rather than under it. Making a cabinet that would have the batteries on a slide out tray on the floor (either 2 or 4 batteries). On the next shelf up the inverter and converter and then mount the main breaker box to the side of the cabinet. The cabinet would be up front in the body near the dinette, which would put it all near the bus batteries. Any suggestions? Good vs Bad idea? I know I would put a small vent thru the wall across from the batteries to vent any gas build up.

jkronmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Re: House batteries placed inside?

Electrical components should NOT be in the same compartment as batteries. The off gases are explosive. Out side vent is good, compartment should be completely sealed from living compartment.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We are using the original battery bays for our electrical & batteries (one for batteries, one for all the electrical). We've had a battery blow up on us once. Don't like the idea of it inside our house. Plus the original battery boxes are already vented as well as being sealed separately from the interior of the bus. So we figure our old battery bay can hold up to four 12 volt deep cycle batteries. We will have a switch to allow us to switch one of the batteries over to start the bus as needed (we've been starting it on one single battery ever since we bought the bus). Otherwise the batteries will be "house" batteries to power the lights (inverter), LP range electronics & vent fan (inverter), 12vDC water pump and the 12vDC fan & hot fluid pump for the hydronic heater. The Intellipower Smart Charger (in the "electrical" bay along with the inverter, 30 amp power hookup & cable connection) will keep the battery bank charged while we are on shore power (which we normally are). During a power outage we will still have lights & can cook on the stove. Much later we will add an LP generator to recharge the battery bank & provide power to the rest of the bus while traveling and wallydocking.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 72

OK, thanks for the info. I was afraid having them inside would not be a good idea. So now to build a battery box underneath! Thanks.
jkronmiller is offline   Reply With Quote