Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #1
Bus Nut

How about the articulated buses?

I'm in the savings stage...so all buses get a looksy at this point...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I believe that most states limit the length of a single vehicle to 45' with an exemption for certain agencies such as transit authorities.

If you could register the front half as a vehicle and then register the back half as a trailer then you would be a "combination" and good in most states up to 60'-65' depending on the state. Don't think that you are likely to pull that off though....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:21 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
There is a thread here somewhere from a couple in Australia with a beauty articulated machine. That's all I know but it is sweet.

John
Old 01-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I believe that most states limit the length of a single vehicle to 45' with an exemption for certain agencies such as transit authorities.

If you could register the front half as a vehicle and then register the back half as a trailer then you would be a "combination" and good in most states up to 60'-65' depending on the state. Don't think that you are likely to pull that off though....
Thx...they are huge though...you'd need more than 40 acres to turn the beast around...

Old 01-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Maybe you could put a smart car in the second section so you can go shopping.

Do they even put reverse in those articulated buses?
Old 01-04-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Maybe you could put a smart car in the second section so you can go shopping.

Do they even put reverse in those articulated buses?
Oh gawd!!! I don't know...what's really weird is the engine is in the trailer...

Old 01-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I got really excited about those articulated buses when I first saw them. The licensing requirements alone were enough to convince me otherwise. Besides, where would you park that beast? You're not going to a camp ground. It's more likely you'd frequent Walmart parking lots. I live on a ranch and I don't have enough room to turn one of those around on my place. Still, it would make the most badazz skoolie for skoliepalooza.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:31 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
I got really excited about those articulated buses when I first saw them. The licensing requirements alone were enough to convince me otherwise. Besides, where would you park that beast? You're not going to a camp ground. It's more likely you'd frequent Walmart parking lots. I live on a ranch and I don't have enough room to turn one of those around on my place. Still, it would make the most badazz skoolie for skoliepalooza.
For real...

Old 01-04-2018, 11:50 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
As long as we are getting crazy, lets completely lose our minds.
Phuck it, put a swimming pool in there too.
Attached Thumbnails
art.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:04 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Those have got to be some bugers to work on. The ones I'd seen were only doubles and that seemed amazing at the time.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:35 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

The Prevost H5-60, the Crown Ikarus 286, and the MAN articulated buses used by Metro Transit in Seattle were all powered in the first section with the "trailer" section going along for the ride. The trailer had single tires on a steerable axle.

The Prevost used a Detroit Diesel 8V-92T, the Crown used a Cummins Big Cam, and the MAN used a MAN diesel engine.

The newer models like the Breda and New Flyer are hybrids where the center axle is driven by the hybrid drive system and the rear axle is driven by the diesel engine.

As far as using an articulated bus as a platform to convert, you are going to run into some serious issues in regards to licensing and where you can drive one. There are many jurisdictions around the country that will not allow you to drive a 102" wide 60'-65' long on surface streets.

Taking on the task of converting one of these buses would not be any different from any other bus. One of your challenges would be to find parts and service for them. MAN engine and transmission parts are not exactly easy to find unless you were in Germany. Crown Ikarus parts are made of unobtainium. Of them all the Prevost would be the easiest. But a lot of the parts and pieces were one-off pieces specific to the H5-60 and rather difficult to find now.

If you really need extra room I would suggest you purchase a travel trailer to tow behind your bus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown-Ikarus_286
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:37 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Wow...back it up right over there...lol

Old 01-05-2018, 03:59 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
The Prevost H5-60, the Crown Ikarus 286, and the MAN articulated buses used by Metro Transit in Seattle were all powered in the first section with the "trailer" section going along for the ride. The trailer had single tires on a steerable axle.

The Prevost used a Detroit Diesel 8V-92T, the Crown used a Cummins Big Cam, and the MAN used a MAN diesel engine.

The newer models like the Breda and New Flyer are hybrids where the center axle is driven by the hybrid drive system and the rear axle is driven by the diesel engine.

As far as using an articulated bus as a platform to convert, you are going to run into some serious issues in regards to licensing and where you can drive one. There are many jurisdictions around the country that will not allow you to drive a 102" wide 60'-65' long on surface streets.

Taking on the task of converting one of these buses would not be any different from any other bus. One of your challenges would be to find parts and service for them. MAN engine and transmission parts are not exactly easy to find unless you were in Germany. Crown Ikarus parts are made of unobtainium. Of them all the Prevost would be the easiest. But a lot of the parts and pieces were one-off pieces specific to the H5-60 and rather difficult to find now.

If you really need extra room I would suggest you purchase a travel trailer to tow behind your bus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown-Ikarus_286
Those make more sense...this a older Houston metro articulated bus

Old 01-05-2018, 07:17 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Those make more sense...this a older Houston metro articulated bus

A video of the newer style...ok I can't get a video to load directly...here's a pic of the driver's station...that big grey hump is the front wheel...(sorry, the pic is sideways)

Old 01-05-2018, 07:20 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Those have got to be some bugers to work on. The ones I'd seen were only doubles and that seemed amazing at the time.
Here's a video of one of Houston's articulated buses...https://youtu.be/oqEClXbxS6Q

Old 01-05-2018, 08:59 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:

dang your own personal Train!
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
dang your own personal Train!
Ikr!

Old 01-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
I like it but does it come in a double decker?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I like it but does it come in a double decker?
This?

Old 01-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Or do what Chadluck (sp?) here did some years ago - he cut the front off some POS RV and turned it into a sort of articulated trailer behind his Blue Bird TC2000, complete with rudimentary bellows between the two. It looked like you can imagine, and I can't think that the 5.9 Cummins would have managed too well with all that weight. But give him extra points for creativity.

There were a few home-made Crown bendy-buses before Crown and Ikarus got cozy and spawned their infamous 286. Coast Community Charter in Northern California grafted together two 35-foot Crowns, one with front damage and the other with rear damage, and made a presentable-looking bus that was in revenue service for several years in the 1970s. By doing that, the rear half is classified as a trailer, getting around the length complications that happens when the rear is indivisible from the front, such as on all current rear-engine bendy-buses. I saw another one made from two old deck-and-a-half sightseeing Crowns, probably old Tanner buses, in Patrick's yard in Dinuba when I bought my bus from him. So, with some imagination and creativity and some serious metal-working skills you could make your own Frankenbus from two hapless donors.

The main reason to not buy a used rear-engine bendy bus is the hinge between the halves. It's a fearsomely-complicated design, and when they wear out it's sometimes not worth repairing or replacing them so the whole bus is then scrapped, or sold to unsuspecting suckers! However, I heard that the big Prevost H5-60 mid-engine buses were essentially built around their engine, and when it needed major work it required parts of the frame and understructure to be cut away to access it - I guess that also rules them out as a practical conversion candidate. And as for the (un)availability of MAN parts in this country, it could be easier to go to Mexico to buy them there - there's lots of late-model MANs there with gorgeous Irizar Century bodies in First Class service with the long-distance bus lines such as Primera Plus and Futura. (The only buses you won't much see in MX are American-made ones!)

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote